E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > EDC delete and Cali SMOG

05-28-2024, 11:03 AM   #1
Quinticus
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

EDC delete and Cali SMOG

Bought an e92 m3 that had an edc delete. Seemed to pass smog the previous owner did with no problems. Should I expect any? Reason I don’t trust that it’s anything more than a careless smog person is he didn’t pay more for a hot smog and he had aftermarket headers cats and a tune on it and it STILL passed somehow. So I can’t tell if it’s just an idiot tech or if the car is actually compliant lol
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 06:34 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

California needs stock software on the engine. Was the car sold in stock condition or with the exhaust and tune still on it? EDC being deleted will have 0 effect on smog
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 08:22 PM   #3
Quinticus
Rep

Yea but he smogged it and it passed right before he sold it to me. Magnaflow cats so their carb legal I believe. Owner didn’t know there was a tune, but my mechanic said he thinks my headers are aftermarket and would probably have a tune on it. But I just don’t know for certain since it’s a few owners ago at this point
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 12:24 AM   #4
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinticus View Post
Yea but he smogged it and it passed right before he sold it to me. Magnaflow cats so their carb legal I believe. Owner didn’t know there was a tune, but my mechanic said he thinks my headers are aftermarket and would probably have a tune on it. But I just don’t know for certain since it’s a few owners ago at this point
If it passed smog in CA it doesn’t have a tune on it. Most likely just exhaust. Headers also don’t require a tune since the headers don’t have cats on them, the x pipe does. If you’re unsure just download free elm obd scanner on App Store and use a cheap Bluetooth dongle to check emission readiness to see if all monitors pass. Or if you wanna be certain just have the stock software flashed to stock on the dme
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2024, 10:09 PM   #5
Quinticus
Rep

Well the speed governor is removed so it has to be tuned right? I can go 165 no problem. I think maybe this smog shop doesnt doesnt do much somehow and they just pretend to not notice? Im just gonna take it to the same one and hope it works again lol, cuz i dont even have the stock software, its all been lost to time with previous owners
Appreciate 0