E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 blown headgasket

07-16-2024, 12:26 PM   #23
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
The issue iqraceworks is having just plain sucks... I'd hate to properly rebuild an engine only to have coolant issues immediately after. Hope you find a simple solution quickly.

sifonix, do you know what caused your initial head gasket failure? It's pretty uncommon on the N54 as far as I can tell; lots of people running high boost with high mileage on these engines without head gasket problems.
Yep...sucks is does

Like you, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out why stock, unopened motors are running tons of boost, making 700+hp, and bending rods and cracking cylinders.....and not running into head gasket issues. It's extremely rare that you head about head gasket issues on these motors......until they get rebuilt.

Sure...there are aftermarket stud kits out there that provide more clamping power (might go this route when I replace my head gasket soon).....but why is that needed on a rebuild engine, but not needed on N54's when they came out of the factory?

Were the OEM BMW head bolts used at the factory made out of a higher tensile steel than the OEM BMW head bolts you can get from places like FCP today?

It's not like I'm making massive HP or running 30psi of boost. It really baffles me.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2024, 12:53 AM   #24
sifonix
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
The issue iqraceworks is having just plain sucks... I'd hate to properly rebuild an engine only to have coolant issues immediately after. Hope you find a simple solution quickly.

sifonix, do you know what caused your initial head gasket failure? It's pretty uncommon on the N54 as far as I can tell; lots of people running high boost with high mileage on these engines without head gasket problems.
Dont know what caused it, when I bought the car, the expansion tank was purging a very little bit of coolant around the cap after a lot of hard driving. After replacing every coolant thingy, coolant started purging a lot more from the cap, so that is why I pulled the head.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2024, 01:27 AM   #25
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

Just my opinion, but I think the open block is causing people issues on rebuilds. Most don't deck the block, and even still, age, miles, and re-torquing. I have seen some HG procedures where they run sealant on the edge and @ coolant jackets, even with mls gaskets.
Appreciate 0