E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Injector rattle

07-20-2024, 01:28 PM   #1
friedymeister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Convertible

Injector rattle

Hi everyone,

I recently replaced my VANOS servomotor and have been dealing with a rattling noise and misfire. I had also replaced all coil packs and plugs. I replaced all 6 injectors with brand new ones. After that, I still had misfires, which I traced to cylinder 2. After pulling the injector, I found that it was very loose, re-installed it with new seals (using aftermarket tools for seals and torquing them to 2nM), and the misfire in cylinder 2 went away. Within a few minutes, I had the same issue in cylinder 1.

I re-torqued injector 1 with the tool, but it persisted. I then replaced the seal and decoupling element, and the sound went away and the misfire went away. I let the car come up to temp and turned it off. The next day, the injector is loose again, especially while starting the engine and the rattle and misfire is back.

The seal on the injector looks a bit stretched, and I included photos of the injector ports. Could the seal being stretched like that cause it to get loose so quickly (should I just try to install it again with a new seal?). Do I need a new decoupling element too if I just installed it 24 hours ago? Or is this a case of the hole get ovaled and I'm in trouble?

Thanks in advance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4J...usp=drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U7Z...usp=drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xfC...usp=drive_link
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2024, 03:56 PM   #2
wheela
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Garage List
Both are considered single-use items. Did you initially replace both the seal and decoupling element for all 6 injectors and just had problems with #1 and #2? Or did you initally reuse them for all 6, and only replace for #1 and #2 after you had your problems with them?

Some may disagree with me, but I'd interpret single-use as single install. If it was my engine, I'd replace both everytime I pulled an injector - even if only 24 hours had passed.

Here are screenshots from FCP for both items:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wrevilo74.00
      07-22-2024, 08:38 AM   #3
friedymeister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Convertible

I replaced all 6 with new seals and decouplers, and every time I've had to remove and reinstall injectors 1 and 2 I've replaced them, but it's getting expensive and takes a while to receive a new set every time I order them.
Appreciate 0