E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vacuum reading at idle....

07-28-2024, 10:18 AM   #67
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyweninger View Post
Bumping.
Are they supposed to be open at idle. My car was making a horrible whining sound when i got into the throttle and throwing a 30ff. From the driver side engine bay. Turbos are brand spankin new and i can’t find a boost leak elsewhere or vacuum.
If by they, you mean the diverter valves, yes open at idle is fine, since idle vacuums are generally -8 to -9.5 psi and most springs are open at that delta p.
      07-28-2024, 10:20 AM   #68
Jonnyweninger
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
If by they, you mean the diverter valves, yes open at idle is fine, since idle vacuums are generally -8 to -9.5 psi and most springs are open at that delta p.
ah crap. I just put new turbos on the car. Drove it around for 3 days everything seemed fine. Parked it last night after a good drive. Started it up a few hours later, going down the road i heard what sounded to be a almost supercharger like sound very high pitch whining and then after that it went away now they just sound like they rattle around no boost whatsoever checked everything and couldn’t find a boost or vacuum leak
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2024, 11:38 AM   #69
suspect
.******.
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyweninger View Post
Bumping.
Are they supposed to be open at idle. My car was making a horrible whining sound when i got into the throttle and throwing a 30ff. From the driver side engine bay. Turbos are brand spankin new and i can’t find a boost leak elsewhere or vacuum.
I have been trying to troubleshoot loss of boost too. I pulled the front diverter return hose off the front inlet and started the car cold. At high idle it was blowing air out of the diverter valve return hose. Once the engine settled down to warm/low idle it stopped blowing air. So either they’re fully or mostly closed at warm/low idle or my DVs are broken. Maybe someone else can do the same test.
Appreciate 0