Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Put on new tires and now car is shaking

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-13-2024, 06:11 PM   #1
Khanwsk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw x5

Put on new tires and now car is shaking

I recently put new tires on my 2016 x5 and now the vehicle is shaking above 65 mph.

I have gotten the tires balanced twice and wheel alignment done twice as well. I got the result of the latest wheel alignment and front is good but back both tire camber and toe is out of limits. Mechanic says he cant fix it, could damage the rear control arm. Has anyone run into this issue. Should I take it to the dealership?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 02:50 AM   #2
fbo.jawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Have you tried getting the wheels rebalanced? sounds like a wheel balance problem to me.
Appreciate 1
wrevilo72.50
      07-17-2024, 10:59 PM   #3
Khanwsk
Registered
Rep

I have gotten wheels balanced twice. Will take it to anothrr shop for alignment to see if they can do better
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2024, 09:41 PM   #4
Khanwsk
Registered
Rep

Took it to another shop today and they were unable to align the rear driver tire because the bolt on the control arm were "frozen" and they were afraid that would end up damaging the bolt.

Has anyone run into this issue? Do I have to replace the control arm?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2024, 11:43 PM   #5
gaze2
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 325i 6MT 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanwsk View Post
Took it to another shop today and they were unable to align the rear driver tire because the bolt on the control arm were "frozen" and they were afraid that would end up damaging the bolt.

Has anyone run into this issue? Do I have to replace the control arm?
Mine has the same issue on the onboard passenger side, guy at the alignment shop didnt want to push it advised me to try and loosen it myself, preferably at a shop so if it snaps they can replace it quicker. And if it is just the bolt I dont see why you would need to replace the control arm, maybe if the bushing is shot as well.

But you changed tires, so the problem is most likely from the tires, I put on new falkens, got them balanced, and 100 miles later had to go to another shop to get them balanced again...

You can diagnose if its tire balance if it shakes between 40-70mph and then stops, alignment will just get worse with speed.

Also this is the e90 forum, so maybe you will get better advice on the forum for your x5
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 01:17 PM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Just have them do it and order a new bolt if it snaps. My previous e90 was from NJ and had a rusted eccentric bolt. I told them to proceed and the bolt snapped--they ordered another then aligned it.

If your tires are new, they're likely out of round as a bad alignment wouldn't cause a vibration unless you ran that way for a long time and wore them funny.

In Tennessee literally nobody can balance tires, it's like speaking Martian to them to actually get it right so you may have just gotten an incompetent tech or a bad machine. Take it elsewhere, preferably somewhere with a road force balancer.
Appreciate 0