E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > B58 Coil question

08-05-2024, 10:48 AM   #1
ifjd073
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

B58 Coil question

Quick question... if you check the box for the B58 coil conversion in MHD (and potentially reflex+ - it's been so long that I don't remember) but are using the original coils, will there be any significant issues? I ask because I did the conversion but then before sending my car in for work I removed the coil kit and put the originals back in because I didn't want the technician doing the work to strip out the aluminum threads in the mounting plate since they are pretty finicky. After much backstory that I won't get into, I'm having the engine built, but once complete the builder is going to run the car and dyno it and such to make sure that it's working as intended; however, I personally won't get a chance to monkey around with the tune before or after they do their work (car is in California, I'm in Texas).

So just wondering if there'll be any issues, as that's the only part in the tune that isn't correct. If so, I'll have to figure out how to get the conversion coded out...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 05:11 AM   #2
Podunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

there is a difference in dwell timing between factory and B58, and may cause issues with ignition and/or coil burn out.
it is not hard to change it in the MHD tune, so if you put the factory pencil coils back in, just tick the box back to OEM< flash it with a quick flash, and drive it in.
Appreciate 0