E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Solved, Mixture control 29E0 & 29E1 Lean mixture

04-23-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
2_Spools_919
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi AT

Smile Solved, Mixture control 29E0 & 29E1 Lean mixture

Hope this post helps someone out. To start, I work at a repair facility that works on BMW's. The last car I worked on this week was a stock 2016 Z4 w/ N54 and 62,0000 miles. The car came in for a check engine light and running rough on cold start. So we parked the car and let it sit to perform a cold start. On cold start the vehicle barely wanted to run, it had a very lumpy rough start. Then while connected to ISTA, and monitoring the O2 sensor status, once the O2 sensors became active the idle smoothed out but the multiplicative values were at 30% for banks 1 & 2 with fault codes 29E0 & 29E1 mixture control bank 1 & 2 too lean, So, with them both banks at 30% and almost identical, the thought process was, it has to be something that affects both banks together. So we smoke tested the intake system. We found the rear turbo inlet had a leak at the flange and the charge pipe was leaking. So naturally, we replaced the leaking turbo inlet and charge pipe. smoke tested and no leaks. Checked multiplicative values and still at 30% for both banks. Let me not forget to mention that the previous week the vehicle was towed in for a no start and we found that the low-pressure pump was only putting out 30 psi, after replacing the low-pressure pump and regulator the high-pressure pump and rail pressure sensor were replaced for rail pressure plausibility faults. So at this point, the low-pressure pump, fuel pressure regulator, high-pressure pump, charge pipe, and bank 2 turbo inlet have been replaced. No unmetered air leaks. We smoke tested the crankcase through the oil filter cap and sprayed the entire valve cover with soapy water to check for any small cracks or leaks and none were found. We measured crankcase pressure with a digital manometer and it was spot on at 17mBar. So, we disconnected the tank vent valve from the throttle and plugged the port and no change in the values they were still at 30% both banks. So, the next step was O2 sensors. We replaced all 4 O2 sensors and crossed our fingers. Nope, values still at 30%. We flashed the DME with ISTA/P and allowed vehicle to sit overnight. started it up in the morning and it ran rough again until the O2 sensors were active and the values shot up to 30%. We swapped the map sensor with a new one and still 30%. So now the last thing we thought it could be were the injectors. They were all index 12. Surely it couldn't be the coveted index 12 injectors. Luckily, this customer has a good extended warranty. The warranty company has been on the hook for all of the repairs. So, we called in the claim and they approved it. I installed 6 new fuel injectors and calibrated with ISTA. Started it up and right away the cold start was no longer lumpy and rough. While at idle without driving the multiplicative values were at 12%, a dramatic improvement. So we took her out for a good test drive. Checked the multiplicative values afterward and they were at 2.27% bank 1 and 4.97% bank 2 and the mixture faults were no longer present. I was really surprised that the injectors were the cause of the mixture faults with them being index 12. Maybe something passed through the fuel system and was restricting flow? Not sure. visually, the tips of the injectors did not appear to be full of carbon. Anyhow, this has been a long post. Hope it helps someone.
VRSF catless downpipes w/ secondary cat delete
MHD Stage 2+, Xhp stage 3, XDelete
Appreciate 4
      04-28-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
bill3rdshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great information. I'm dealing with a 29E1 as well. I'll post once I know the outcome with my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:50 AM   #3
aohus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rdshift View Post
Great information. I'm dealing with a 29E1 as well. I'll post once I know the outcome with my car.
what was your outcome?
2010 E92 Monaco Blue 335i / Gray Dakota Leather / Steptronic / Sport / Premium / Navi / L7 / 18" Performance Wheels / HPFP fail @ 8400 miles (replaced with #933 pump) // MODS: Mishimoto OCC | VRSF CP + Turbosmart Dual Port BOV | RB PCV Valve // Maintenance: Walnut Blast @ 56k | Spark Plugs Replaced @ 56k | Addons: BN2000 Combox // Andream Carplay // Rear Camera // Spark Plugs (.022 gap) and Coils Replaced 73.1k
2019 G01 Carbon Black X3 M40i / Premium / Driver Assist / 21" on Bridgestone Alienza RFT
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 08:22 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Broken down for an easier read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Spools_919 View Post
Hope this post helps someone out.

To start, I work at a repair facility that works on BMW's.

The last car I worked on this week was a stock 2016 Z4 w/ N54 and 62,0000 miles.

- The car came in for a check engine light and running rough on cold start.
- So we parked the car and let it sit to perform a cold start.
- On cold start the vehicle barely wanted to run, it had a very lumpy rough start.

Then while connected to ISTA, and monitoring the O2 sensor status, once the O2 sensors became active the idle smoothed out but the multiplicative values were at 30% for banks 1 & 2 with fault codes 29E0 & 29E1 mixture control bank 1 & 2 too lean.

So, with them both banks at 30% and almost identical, the thought process was, it has to be something that affects both banks together.
- So we smoke tested the intake system. We found the rear turbo inlet had a leak at the flange and the charge pipe was leaking. So naturally, we replaced the leaking turbo inlet and charge pipe. smoke tested and no leaks.
- Checked multiplicative values and still at 30% for both banks.

Let me not forget to mention that the previous week the vehicle was towed in for a no start, and we found that the low-pressure pump was only putting out 30 psi. After replacing the low-pressure pump and regulator, the high-pressure pump and rail pressure sensor were replaced for rail pressure plausibility faults.

So at this point, the low-pressure pump, fuel pressure regulator, high-pressure pump, charge pipe, and bank 2 turbo inlet have been replaced.

No unmetered air leaks. We smoke tested the crankcase through the oil filter cap and sprayed the entire valve cover with soapy water to check for any small cracks or leaks and none were found.

We measured crankcase pressure with a digital manometer and it was spot on at 17mBar. So, we disconnected the tank vent valve from the throttle and plugged the port and no change in the values they were still at 30% both banks.

So, the next step was O2 sensors.
- We replaced all 4 O2 sensors and crossed our fingers. Nope, values still at 30%.
- We flashed the DME with ISTA/P and allowed vehicle to sit overnight. Started it up in the morning and it ran rough again until the O2 sensors were active and the values shot up to 30%.
- We swapped the map sensor with a new one and still 30%.

So now the last thing we thought it could be were the injectors.
- They were all index 12. Surely it couldn't be the coveted index 12 injectors.
Luckily, this customer has a good extended warranty. The warranty company has been on the hook for all of the repairs. So, we called in the claim and they approved it.

I installed 6 new fuel injectors and calibrated with ISTA.
Started it up and right away, the cold start was no longer lumpy and rough.
While at idle without driving the multiplicative values were at 12%, a dramatic improvement. So we took her out for a good test drive.
- Checked the multiplicative values afterward and they were at 2.27% bank 1 and 4.97% bank 2 and the mixture faults were no longer present.

I was really surprised that the injectors were the cause of the mixture faults with them being index 12.
Maybe something passed through the fuel system and was restricting flow
Not sure, but visually the tips of the injectors did not appear to be full of carbon.

Anyhow, this has been a long post. Hope it helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 08:24 AM   #5
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus View Post
what was your outcome?
In his case as well as in mine, the culprit was the injector.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 02:05 PM   #6
aohus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco Blue 335i

just wanted to update my results after replacing non-genuine index 5's with genuine index 11.

the mixture control error went away and have 0 codes related to it now. car drives a lot smoother and pulls better.
2010 E92 Monaco Blue 335i / Gray Dakota Leather / Steptronic / Sport / Premium / Navi / L7 / 18" Performance Wheels / HPFP fail @ 8400 miles (replaced with #933 pump) // MODS: Mishimoto OCC | VRSF CP + Turbosmart Dual Port BOV | RB PCV Valve // Maintenance: Walnut Blast @ 56k | Spark Plugs Replaced @ 56k | Addons: BN2000 Combox // Andream Carplay // Rear Camera // Spark Plugs (.022 gap) and Coils Replaced 73.1k
2019 G01 Carbon Black X3 M40i / Premium / Driver Assist / 21" on Bridgestone Alienza RFT
Appreciate 2
Wolf 3352507.50
      11-24-2023, 02:49 PM   #7
cjalaff
Rep
Drives: 2008 3351

At first I got mixture control for bank 1. I swapped injectors 123 with 456 and then I got mixture control bank 2. I did a resistance test on the injectors and noticed injector #6 changes resistance when hot. When cool all injectors measure around 200k ohms. When hot, #6 will measure very high (500 M +) then goes out of range. As soon as it cools the resistance goes back to 200k. I swapped injectors #5 and #6 and the problem followed as expected. I am ordering a new injector and hopefully this will solve the mixture control error. + Orings and decouplers to be replaced.

Last edited by cjalaff; 11-24-2023 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu210.50
      01-08-2024, 09:41 PM   #8
Biggsie
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjalaff View Post
At first I got mixture control for bank 1. I swapped injectors 123 with 456 and then I got mixture control bank 2. I did a resistance test on the injectors and noticed injector #6 changes resistance when hot. When cool all injectors measure around 200k ohms. When hot, #6 will measure very high (500 M +) then goes out of range. As soon as it cools the resistance goes back to 200k. I swapped injectors #5 and #6 and the problem followed as expected. I am ordering a new injector and hopefully this will solve the mixture control error. + Orings and decouplers to be replaced.
update?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2024, 01:28 PM   #9
Aode06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Yea, you need REAL GENUINE BMW INJECTORS.
had index 12, found out they were fake.
Get new injectors and your good. BTW no one on ebay is to be trusted
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 05:26 AM   #10
Podunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aode06 View Post
Yea, you need REAL GENUINE BMW INJECTORS.
had index 12, found out they were fake.
Get new injectors and your good. BTW no one on ebay is to be trusted
you know BMW doesn't manufacture their own injectors and instead farmed that process out to someplace like Pieburg/Vitesco, right?
Appreciate 0