E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: 335i N54 CrankShaft Position Sensor Replacement (DME FIX? maybe..)

08-10-2024, 05:16 PM   #45
Mgh024
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Question.

When reinstalling the sensor, should you be able to see any of the o-ring? I can’t tell if it’s fully set in there, I don’t want to push too hard, but I also don’t want to put the car back together before I know that it’s set properly

Thanks for the help,

Mitch
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2024, 07:24 PM   #46
sonofsun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 328i X-drive E90 N51 PK53

Replaced crankshaft sensor but still error code persists

Car suddenly started slipping gears and was not able keep rpms steady. Then turned off couple of times and found the codes to be
2A94-DME Crankshaft Sensor, signal
581E-EGS: signal fault, engine speed from engine control
55C5-Messafe (engine torque 0xAA) error, receiver VTG. Transmitter DME-DDE
5F76- DSC Engine Management

I drove the car for few weeks with this condition but ensuring I gave the engine more gas even when idling to overcompensate for the rpm. Ordered crankshaft sensor OE from FCPEuro.com and replaced the sensor and the bolt.

Since the torque is 6 lb-ft didn't take the torque wrench all the way to 6 lb-ft to hear the click sound. I was afraid I would break the bolt. I think the new o-ring (lubricated and old o-ring removed) was snug enough as the sensor didn't move after tightening.

Now the car is able to hit highway speeds, however the starting cranks are very long and the gear shifts are a bit off, the shifts seem to be happening a bit late and upon reaching higher rpms. Driving in 'DS' mode feels like the way it used to shift.

Now both the 2A94-DME Crankshaft Sensor, signal and
581E-EGS: signal fault, engine speed from engine control are present. When I clear the codes with the Foxwell scanner, the engine immediately increases the rpm and you can tell the difference.

Car is not limping by any means, does the ECU need to get used to the new sensor signal? I will open the cabin air filter cowl and enginer air filter to check if there is oil leaking next week.

Please let me know of your thoughts. Not sure if there could be a fuse issue as clearing the code makes the engine run perfectly normal. Could this be a case of an OE sensor acting differently?
Appreciate 0