E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > IAT at 50 degrees

07-25-2024, 01:16 AM   #1
gazzess
Rep
Drives: E90

IAT at 50 degrees

Hello everyone
I have a bigger intercooler.
I am using my 335i as a drift car.
When I drift my IAT temp starts at 50 degrees and goes up to 80 degrees.
I will also overheat soon after so have to shut down.
Seems the Dual air cones are sucking in the hot air from the engine bay. Outside temp was about 18 degrees.
Any help would be great
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 04:40 AM   #2
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzess View Post
Hello everyone
I have a bigger intercooler.
I am using my 335i as a drift car.
When I drift my IAT temp starts at 50 degrees and goes up to 80 degrees.
I will also overheat soon after so have to shut down.
Seems the Dual air cones are sucking in the hot air from the engine bay. Outside temp was about 18 degrees.
Any help would be great

Thats toasty! What intercooler brand? Mishi?

Starts at 50 degrees? Even before drifting? I would be expecting 28-30 degress before starting.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 03:43 PM   #3
gazzess
Rep
Drives: E90

Well I go drifting and then let it cool down for 5 minutes but stays at 50
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2024, 06:13 PM   #4
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Couple of questions about your setup and a couple of points I would like to make.

What brand intercooler do you have? A good quality unit will make a huge difference vs having an eBay one or something. I have seen a few examples of poor quality intercoolers that are actually worse than the tiny OE half plastic cooler. Ensure you have a good quality unit like CSF, VRSF or something quality at least.

If the outside temps are 18 degrees your starting intake temps shouldn't be at 50 degrees already when first starting. I have the AFE dual cone intakes that sit on top of the engine bay. My intake temps are generally ~15-20 degrees above the ambient air temps even after some good pulls in the car. I personally have the VRSF 5" intercooler, although I am not drifting like you are.

Your post suggests you think your car is somehow overheating from "sucking in hot air"... in the words of the geico commercial "That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works"

The car will overheat for lots of reasons, none of them being the intake air temps, especially after flowing thru an intercooler. Since you don't mention your car's model year we can only assume you may have an early 335i with N54 that didn't come with an oil cooler. Can you tell us what year your car is so we don't have to guess? Oil coolers are critical for keeping oil temps down under hard driving situations. Keep in mind the factory radiator is also not designed for drifting and you really should be getting a larger unit from CSF or similar. You may want to also check that your radiator fan is working properly as its job is to pull cool air thru the radiator to help the engine cool efficiently. The thermostat may also not be opening sufficiently or experiencing some other failure causing insufficient flow of coolant thru the engine. Anyway, lots of possibilities here, but definitely none of them are due to "hot air thru the intakes"
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu210.50
      08-16-2024, 10:46 AM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

You need a massive overkill like the VRSF 1000hp race intercooler or the Big Tom. Something like this should keep you fairly in check.
Appreciate 0