E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Let's talk satellite phones/GPS

08-19-2024, 12:38 AM   #1
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Let's talk satellite phones/GPS

For those of you who utilize satellite phones/GPS/HAM-UHF for hiking or prepper/SHTF moments, what would you recommend? I was looking at the GARMIN 67i, but I’m open to other suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 05:06 AM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

If your use case is prepping/SHTF, I don’t think a sat phone will help. I can’t think of a scenario under those categories where the sat network remains available to us mere mortals (gov’t controls/shuts it down, foreign gov’t/military knocks it out, solar burst kills it).
HAM is probably best for that set of scenarios.

I don’t hike any place so remote that a sat phone would be necessary - cell phone plus maybe a battery extender or solar charger would be sufficient to call out or be found.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26655.00
David701672.00
      08-19-2024, 07:23 AM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
If your use case is prepping/SHTF, I don’t think a sat phone will help. I can’t think of a scenario under those categories where the sat network remains available to us mere mortals (gov’t controls/shuts it down, foreign gov’t/military knocks it out, solar burst kills it).
HAM is probably best for that set of scenarios.

I don’t hike any place so remote that a sat phone would be necessary - cell phone plus maybe a battery extender or solar charger would be sufficient to call out or be found.
Thanks for the insight. Any HAM radio suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 07:32 AM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
GMRS is a good choice, too. Can be had without licensing like HAM.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      08-19-2024, 07:40 AM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
GMRS is a good choice, too. Can be had without licensing like HAM.
That’s a great option if I’m within the range. I’ll consider that as an additional option.

Being that I get deployed (..to emergency situations) as active law enforcement and the fact I work in CA, but live in NV, I wouldn’t be able to get a message to NV using GMRS should cell towers go down. That’s why I was thinking about satellite phones or HAM communication devices.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3755.50
      08-19-2024, 08:25 AM   #6
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That’s a great option if I’m within the range. I’ll consider that as an additional option.

Being that I get deployed (..to emergency situations) as active law enforcement and the fact I work in CA, but live in NV, I wouldn’t be able to get a message to NV using GMRS should cell towers go down. That’s why I was thinking about satellite phones or HAM communication devices.
You know something we don’t?

I didn’t realize you were looking for that scale. I think HAM is your only true option for a real SHTF moment without access to satellites, towers, and general infrastructure.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26655.00
vreihen1619087.50
      08-19-2024, 08:33 AM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

I didn’t realize you were looking for that scale. I think HAM is your only true option for a real SHTF moment without access to satellites, towers, and general infrastructure.
Hahaha! Naw, I’m just thinking ahead. Every drive from NV to CA (..and back), there are long stretches of desert roadway along the 15 freeway where even my iPhone on the T-Mobile network ceases to work (..texts, data, etc.). It’s frustrating, but it highlights the vulnerability in my eyes. Without WiFi, I can barely use my cellular phone in my house due to the lack of cellular towers where my home is located.

P.S. IF something is/was/were about to go down, I would let you guys know. Although on the county level we are still lower on the need-to-know LEO totem pole when it comes to certain things. We do have local alphabet agency posts near some of our county facilities so we would get word from them (…especially given the huge responsibility of county agencies). Even if they didn’t communicate, any large scale roll-out from them would signal something.
Appreciate 3
nyalpine907415.00
2000cs3755.50
      08-19-2024, 10:45 AM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Since you're already on T-Mobile with an iPhone, I'm pretty sure that they have emergency texting and are about to roll out emergency voice service using SpaceX's Starlink from newer iPhones. (Starlink is also now offering mobile Internet with their routers, but it needs a big antenna and costs over a hundred bucks per month for those living/traveling off-grid.)

I used to have a Globalstar satellite phone, for when my DW was working out in the boonies where the "Can you hear me now?" guy has never been. It was bulky just like Iridium satellite phones, and rather large to carry in the woods (where my DW was working) for emergency use.

GMRS radio requires a license, but there is no test.

You can't go wrong with ham radio, as long as there's a repeater within earshot that someone monitors. Since you mentioned I-15, here is what RepeaterBook has listed for covering all/parts of that route:

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeate...15&state_id=06

I know nothing of the geography/topology in California to judge where these repeaters are or how far they cover.

You will find that your range with a handheld is the same as your work walkie-talkie, since they use similar frequencies and transmit powers (around 5 watts to avoid baking your brains with RF). You will probably want to get a mobile radio and external antenna for your car, similar to your patrol car radio. Thanks to China trying to crush Motorola with crazy manufacturing subsidies, you can pick up a dual-band ham handheld on Amazon for under $40 and mobile radio for a bit over $100.

For all of the repeaters listed above, you only need the basic ham "Technician" license. $15 for the 30-question test, and thanks to FOIA the entire question bank is online to study from.

My suggestion is to reach out to your county's emergency communications department, and ask them for their ARES or RACES coordinator contacts. You can probably Google them as well. ARES and RACES are the ham volunteer emergency communications organizations, and they usually coordinate with the county/city communications centers.

In our county, the sheriff department's communications center has licensed ham operators and equipment in their dispatch center, and federal grants paid for the installation and ongoing maintenance of five linked ARES/RACES/SkyWarn repeaters that cover all corners of the county in case SHTF or their digital trunked radios are down.....
2000cs3755.50
      08-19-2024, 10:50 AM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Since you're already on T-Mobile with an iPhone, I'm pretty sure that they have emergency texting and are about to roll out emergency voice service using SpaceX's Starlink from newer iPhones. (Starlink is also now offering mobile Internet with their routers, but it needs a big antenna and costs over a hundred bucks per month for those living/traveling off-grid.)

I used to have a Globalstar satellite phone, for when my DW was working out in the boonies where the "Can you hear me now?" guy has never been. It was bulky just like Iridium satellite phones, and rather large to carry in the woods (where my DW was working) for emergency use.

GMRS radio requires a license, but there is no test.

You can't go wrong with ham radio, as long as there's a repeater within earshot that someone monitors. Since you mentioned I-15, here is what RepeaterBook has listed for covering all/parts of that route:

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeate...15&state_id=06

I know nothing of the geography in California to judge where these repeaters are or how far they cover.

You will find that your range with a handheld is the same as your work walkie-talkie, since they use similar frequencies and transmit powers (around 5 watts to avoid baking your brains with RF). You will probably want to get a mobile radio and external antenna for your car, similar to your patrol car radio. Thanks to China trying to crush Motorola with crazy manufacturing subsidies, you can [...]
Thanks for that bro. Super helpful information.

I was considering the GARMIN 67i. It’s small and serves the purpose, but it’s pricey.

We just converted our L-TAC and dispatch channels to digital, so it has come with growing pains.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619087.50
      08-19-2024, 11:09 AM   #10
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nothing in life is cheap! -The guy who has never owned a Porsche
      08-19-2024, 11:13 AM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
zombies are coming??
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      08-19-2024, 01:28 PM   #12
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Thanks for the insight. Any HAM radio suggestions?
It’s been so long since I was into Ham radio that I’d have to start with the vacuum tube sets and a big ass antenna in the backyard! No current knowledge, sorry.

My thought is range and battery life are key, with light weight and waterproof added features for remote hiking.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26655.00
vreihen1619087.50
      08-19-2024, 01:45 PM   #13
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
zombies are coming??
A few years back the Canadian gummint commissioned a study on how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. LOOK OUT!!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      08-19-2024, 03:16 PM   #14
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
He's prepping for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.....
      08-20-2024, 01:41 AM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
He's prepping for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.....
I’m really not looking forward to that nor this October/November.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619087.50