E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E93 B4 OE or B14 Bilstein

07-15-2024, 12:36 AM   #1
Jackson_Rose
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I E93

E93 B4 OE or B14 Bilstein

I am relatively new to owning a BMW and was gifted a 2011 BMW 328i E93 with around 100,000 miles. I have looked into replacing the vehicle's suspension as the car feels "bouncy" when going over large bumps and has noticeable jolts and shocks when going over smaller road imperfections. I am looking for a smooth ride that will take road imperfections without shaking me to death. I never experienced the original conditions of the vehicle and am looking to switch to coilovers anyway. What would give me a better ride? What pieces will also be needed to complete the job? Will I need to purchase new hardware for mounting?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 12:26 PM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Jackson_Rose I'm in a similar situation. Dad life can slow down car hobbies. When you decide to replace the suspension you need the Turnermotorsport shock mount kit. It's $150 and includes all the rubber bits above and below the struts, hardware, etc. Those weak points are probably causing half of your terrible ride quality. I've owned my 335i for 8 years (122k miles) and felt the stock sport suspension slowly go to s**t. I have a leaking front strut. My car bounces, jumps, and squats under heavy acceleration. I upgraded other parts but I know the struts and mounts are smoked.
The B14 is a wonderful kit. So many good reviews. You can go down the rabbit hole on kits but stay away from "race car" coil overs. It's going to be way too stiff for daily use. If this is your weekend/track day special go for it. Personally I'd stick to the sport/street kits and toss in other upgrades like in my signature.

Stay away from knock off eBay junk. That stuff will start leaking in 12 months with normal driving. Find the complaining posts about low quality coil-overs. The Bilstein kits are twice the price, ride better, and last 5 times longer. Cheers.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 07-16-2024 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2024, 02:28 PM   #3
Jackson_Rose
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
Jackson_Rose I'm in a similar situation. Dad life can slow down car hobbies. When you decide to replace the suspension you need the Turnermotorsport shock mount kit. It's $150 and includes all the rubber bits above and below the struts, hardware, etc. Those weak points are probably causing half of your terrible ride quality. I've owned my 335i for 8 years (122k miles) and felt the stock sport suspension slowly go to s**t. I have a leaking front strut. My car bounces, jumps, and squats under heavy acceleration. I upgraded other parts but I know the struts and mounts are smoked.
The B14 is a wonderful kit. So many good reviews. You can go down the rabbit hole on kits but stay away from "race car" coil overs. It's going to be way too stiff for daily use. If this is your weekend/track day special go for it. Personally I'd stick to the sport/street kits and toss in other upgrades like in my signature.

Stay away from knock off eBay junk. That junk will start leaking in 12 months with normal driving. The Bilstein kits are twice the price but last 5 times longer. Cheers.

Thank you for the feedback, I would have honestly never gotten all the right parts if it wasn't a kit. Would this kit from Tunermotorsports be the correct one?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...oaAmlsEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 09:02 AM   #4
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Rose View Post
Thank you for the feedback, I would have honestly never gotten all the right parts if it wasn't a kit. Would this kit from Tunermotorsports be the correct one?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...oaAmlsEALw_wcB
Yep that's it! I think the price went up... I don't remember it being over $200. Anyone doing a suspension upgrade/replacement this is a must imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 11:32 AM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I'm not sure about the 328i but I have a E93 335i with a relatively fresh (installed within the last year) set of B4 shocks and struts along with all new mounting hardware and new arms up front, and I cannot recommend them. The car feels under dampened, with weird high frequency bouncing over bumpy roads at speed and a sloppy feeling. It's worse with the top down folded away in the back.

If I hit a big dip at speed or crawl just a little too fast over speed bumps the front end sinks pretty bad and sometimes bottoms out. Car is on stock sport springs with corresponding B4 struts/shocks for sport suspension.

My setup is less than a year old and I'm already planning to replace it soon. I'm sure the B8 shocks/struts or even the B14 kit would be great but I don't think I'll stick with Bilstein this time based on lack of support. They just told me "those are the correct parts for your car. If you think they're defective file a claim with the retailer."

Koni yellows sound good due to their adjustability. Beyond those, I don't know what other options I have besides a $$$ coilover kit.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2024, 06:48 AM   #6
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

lowrydr310 That's annoying I'm sure. Your comment and others before is the reason I want the B14 kit (or something equivalent).

Did you notice a higher ride height after installation? That's my other fear when I refresh my suspension. I don't want an increased wheel gap. The B14 kit can solve that complaint since it's adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 11:19 PM   #7
Jackson_Rose
United_States
Rep

I have started the project. I chose a B14 PSS9 Kit with new control arms and sway bar end links. It should be done by this weekend, just waiting on a replacement bolt I broke.
Appreciate 3
      08-21-2024, 02:16 AM   #8
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Rose View Post
I have started the project. I chose a B14 PSS9 Kit with new control arms and sway bar end links. It should be done by this weekend, just waiting on a replacement bolt I broke.
Please keep us updated, I'm interested in this setup too. Can you confirm what front springs you have on your car? I believe my 335i E93 has D8 springs up front... this is why I'm skeptical of kits that claim fit many E9x models. Only a few use the D8 springs up front (335d, 335i E93 auto?)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2024, 02:46 PM   #9
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I went with the B4 and mounting hardware recently on my E92 and am happy with the ride. I installed Supreme Power spring perches on the struts for a slight drop a few years ago and rear shocks to raise the rear about 3/8" so it wouldn't rub after installing new wheels.
      08-24-2024, 02:30 PM   #10
Jackson_Rose
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Please keep us updated, I'm interested in this setup too. Can you confirm what front springs you have on your car? I believe my 335i E93 has D8 springs up front... this is why I'm skeptical of kits that claim fit many E9x models. Only a few use the D8 springs up front (335d, 335i E93 auto?)
I'm honestly not too sure, I am still very new to coilovers. This is the exact kit I went with. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-kit-47-120471
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 02:35 PM   #11
Jackson_Rose
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I have finished the installation on the front of the car. I changed all mounting hardware along with new forward and rear control arms. I went with OE replacements on those, along with new sway bar end links. Overall took about three hours on each side. I am still yet to do the rear. The vehicle drives great, the steering is tight and there is no wiggle or play in it. I'll do the rear next weekend, the rear of the vehicle was replaced not long ago with OE replacement. I will soon use the new ones that came with the kit. I also did about 3/4in of preload on the coilovers.

Link to Coilovers: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-kit-47-120471

Link to Mounting Hardwear: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...oaAmlsEALw_wcB
Appreciate 1