E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Wanting to buy 335i E92, DIY maintenance costs + advice on tuning

08-24-2024, 08:31 AM   #1
vmqxdv
Registered
Rep
Drives: (will) BMW 335i E92

Question Wanting to buy 335i E92, DIY maintenance costs + advice on tuning

Hi, as the title say I'm looking to buy a 335i E92, preferably LCI because I've seen that the major issues that comes with the non-LCI are less(?), correct me if I'm wrong, and I've also seen people talking about what to do immediately after buying it, but despite everyone saying similar things, they are slightly different, so I wanted to ask here because I feel I would get a more realistic version of the story then watching videos on YouTube.

Beside that, I also want to tune it and since in Italy modify your car is very very illegal I wanted to know what upgrades I can make that can leave the engine bay the most stock looking possibile. So no relocation inlets, no big top-mount turbos etc.

So long story short my questions are:
- What to look for when buying one 335i E92 LCI? (Consider the fact that I'll probably buy it from Germany because is cheaper then in Italy)
- How much should I invest immediately after buying to prepare it to last and for mods?
- Which mod can I install DIY that would leave the engine bay stock-looking? (Or if not completely stock-looking not much diverse from stock so that if cops will ever ask to open it, it would look stock)

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by vmqxdv; 08-24-2024 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Forgot a question
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 08:41 AM   #2
vmqxdv
Registered
Rep

In regards of the mods I was thinking about a turbo and downpipes upgrade, but I think I should also upgrade the inlets and maybe injectors and fuel pump right? To have enough air and gasoline to work properly with the tune (maybe MHD? I don't have any dyno-tuner where I live, only one 3h away, but I don't know how good it is).

Suspension wise: air suspension or coil overs, I'm more for air because the roads where I live are nasty and I'm afraid that with a fixed ride high I'll destroy the bottom.

Last edited by vmqxdv; 08-24-2024 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: More clarification + grammar error
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 08:04 AM   #3
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Creaky e90 330xi 6MT

Whatever you do, do not get I-drive or xdrive. These cars are getting older and it really sucks dealing with these non engine related problems.

Other things to look for:
M-sport package
Shadow Line Trim
Lowest mileage the better, but with 335i if you can find someone who's popped in index 11/12 injectors at higher mileage that would be awesome. They're like i dunno $4000 for a set?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 08:25 AM   #4
Raghza
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N55 DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmqxdv View Post
So long story short my questions are:
- What to look for when buying one 335i E92 LCI? (Consider the fact that I'll probably buy it from Germany because is cheaper then in Italy)
- How much should I invest immediately after buying to prepare it to last and for mods?
- Which mod can I install DIY that would leave the engine bay stock-looking? (Or if not completely stock-looking not much diverse from stock so that if cops will ever ask to open it, it would look stock)
If you're looking at LCI cars, the engine will be an N55 (3.0 single twinscroll turbo) instead of the older N54 (3.0 twin turbo).
The N55 has somewhat less common problems than the N54 and uses a bit less fuel, but also makes less power when you start modifying it.
In Europe you can also find E92 N55 LCI cars with DCT (DKG in German) gearbox. They are more expensive, but if you are looking for performance-oriented driving experience, I highly suggest getting one.

Mechanically the main issues are with the Valvetronic (can be quite expensive to diagnose and repair) and the rod bearings. However if the car has been well looked after, it is very likely that you will not have any issues at all - mine has done over 330k kilometres and the engine has never been opened.
Unfortunately both of those problems can appear very suddenly, so I don't think there is a clear way to tell if you will run into those issues or not. If you find a car that has gotten new rod bearings and valvetronic components recently, then I'd consider it a jackpot.

Modification-wise, you will need a metal chargepipe since the original is made of plastic and will break. Very likely that this has already been replaced by the current owner.
After that you can just get a remap and you will have around 270-280kw (EU units, measured from crank). You can also get stuff like a drop-in panel filter and a bigger intercooler for some additional power gains that will not look too obvious.
If you are able to make the car sound louder (although this will be the first sign that the car is modified), an aftermarket downpipe adds a fair amount of power. Exhaust-wise your options are basically unlimited and depends on your budget and how loud you want your car to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 01:10 PM   #5
vmqxdv
Registered
Rep

First of all: sorry for late reply!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
Whatever you do, do not get I-drive or xdrive. These cars are getting older and it really sucks dealing with these non engine related problems.

Other things to look for:
M-sport package
Shadow Line Trim
Lowest mileage the better, but with 335i if you can find someone who's popped in index 11/12 injectors at higher mileage that would be awesome. They're like i dunno $4000 for a set?
I'm aware of the injectors, in fact that's why I was looking for a N55 over a N54 even if I lose the twin-turbo. But I'll certainly give the priority for a N54 with new injectors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghza View Post
If you're looking at LCI cars, the engine will be an N55 (3.0 single twinscroll turbo) instead of the older N54 (3.0 twin turbo).
The N55 has somewhat less common problems than the N54 and uses a bit less fuel, but also makes less power when you start modifying it.
In Europe you can also find E92 N55 LCI cars with DCT (DKG in German) gearbox. They are more expensive, but if you are looking for performance-oriented driving experience, I highly suggest getting one.

Mechanically the main issues are with the Valvetronic (can be quite expensive to diagnose and repair) and the rod bearings. However if the car has been well looked after, it is very likely that you will not have any issues at all - mine has done over 330k kilometres and the engine has never been opened.
Unfortunately both of those problems can appear very suddenly, so I don't think there is a clear way to tell if you will run into those issues or not. If you find a car that has gotten new rod bearings and valvetronic components recently, then I'd consider it a jackpot.

Modification-wise, you will need a metal chargepipe since the original is made of plastic and will break. Very likely that this has already been replaced by the current owner.
After that you can just get a remap and you will have around 270-280kw (EU units, measured from crank). You can also get stuff like a drop-in panel filter and a bigger intercooler for some additional power gains that will not look too obvious.
If you are able to make the car sound louder (although this will be the first sign that the car is modified), an aftermarket downpipe adds a fair amount of power. Exhaust-wise your options are basically unlimited and depends on your budget and how loud you want your car to be.
Thanks for all the advice! In regards of aspiration I was thinking about leaving the stock one, but only the visible parts and do a relocation in the front, both for cold air and to hide it a bit more. I'm not aware tho if there is much space to make it less visible, I'll have to get more info about that!

Thank you again for the replies!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 01:24 PM   #6
vmqxdv
Registered
Rep

Another question! Since I want to do this all DIY, and I was considering also upgrading the turbos, is there a guide that list which tool I'll need to performe every/some modification? That's in case I lack some of them I'll not be left waiting for tools to arrive.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0