E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > 2011 328 xdrive crank but won't start after VCG,intake gasket replacement, and sensor

07-03-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
johnyellow
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

2011 328 xdrive crank but won't start after VCG,intake gasket replacement, and sensor

Hi guys!
I really need help on this one. A few months back I did an Oil pan gasket replacement on my 2011 BMW 328 drive. Everything worked very well afterwards, but it being a > Decade old BMW, it was leaking from pretty much everywhere. I proceeded to replace a front main seal, a valve cover gasket, and an oil filter housing gasket. Unfortunately, I developed the “since I am in here” bug, so I removed the intake manifold (replaced The intake gaskets which were brittle and the throttle body gasket), as well as the crankshaft position sensor.
In the Front of the engine, I replaced both camshaft position sensors, as well as both Vanos solenoids (and the vanos filters in the Passenger side of the engine).
I finally got everything together and surprise surprise the car will not start. My battery was on the way out a few months ago, so I replaced it thinking that this could be the culprit (rapid discharge trying to start).
I used my scanner (MaxiDiag MD808 Pro) to see if I could figure out why. I got the following codes (I attached a picture):
1. 2A9A not present
2. 2A9B not present
Of note, When I removed the intake manifold, I undo Fuel line. Initially, I thought it would be to there being no fuel in the system. I have not double checked, but there No fuel pump codes.
I am at a complete loss, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 09:06 AM   #2
Benniese90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i e90 modded

1.) reset your adaptations
2.) relearn your valvetronic motor limit positions

Whenever you replace a crankshaft or camshaft sensor, you must reset the adaptations. And by removing the valve cover, you removed the valvetronic motor so you must relearn the stops on it.

To do either of these, you need a capable scanner such as a foxwell, or ista+.

You can manually use a 4mm allen wrench and adjust the valvetronic motor. Insert it in the center hole and turn it counterclockwise all the way until you cant turn it anymore, then turn it back the oposite way just a quarter turn. This allows maximum lift. if it is turned all of the way the other way and for some reason doesnt adjust on its own(such as a bad or sluggish motor), then it can cause a crank no start as it wont get air. Also, watch the rpms when you are cranking the car, they should move. If they dont, consider another crankshaft sensor. Sometimes aftermarket sensors suck. And you dont have to remove the intake manifold to replace the crankshaft sensor. You can do it from underneath. Just remove the fuel line bracket cover. Its held on with about 3 10mm nuts. Once that is out of the way you can reach up by feel and replace the crankshaft sensor. Ive done is alot of times like that. Its alot quicker, less work, but is a bit more challenging and takes more coordination and focus since you will be doing it be feel instead of by sight. Hope this helps you or someone else that reads this.
Appreciate 0