E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help! Power loss to 2009 n54

09-02-2024, 08:12 AM   #1
bmxtips101
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Help! Power loss to 2009 n54

New here so sorry if wrong place but im new to this car trying to diagnose.

PROBLEM:
So when im parked or WOT the car jerks and shuts power to engine not always though, when it does this i go and make sure the coil packs are seated and in place and when i do the car starts up (it would only crank before no start) im assuming its that but i replaced the coil packs and its still happening, i dont think its the plugs because the car would return back to normal when i messed with the coil packs. This started happening after my ARM catless downpipe install.

Other info:
ALSO, i went one by one adjusting the coil packs until the car started i got to the 5th one and it then started again and i do see a small slit in the harness maybe this is the issue? I dont know i want a more definitive answer before buying parts.
Car wont let me read codes when this happens only after i mess with the coil packs it starts up and i can read codes and it says this after, previous codes are listed after 2AB4

CODES
2AB4 - DME: DME, internal fault: RAM checksum. (After car shutsdown)
29F3 - DME: Fuel low-pressure sensor, electric. (Already had before this started happening)
2FOC - Intake air temperature sensor.
(Happens sometimes but not after shutdowns)

- DME shadow (inactive) codes - 29F4 - DME: Catalytic-converter conversion.
29F5 - DME: Catalytic-converter conversion 2.

I’ve researched and some say valve needs cleaning but that doesn’t make sense since i figit with the coil packs and returns normal until it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2024, 11:55 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

if you mess with coil packs than you have or had issue with ground wire from engine to the body
or the grounds of the coil packs
and probably burnt or damaged your engine ECU
same with the lambda wires, they have heating circuit
and when any works with downpipes done not correctly
their wires unfixed, their isolation damaged by hot exhaust pipes, they short circuit to ground and also damage ECU, relays, fuses and so on
      09-03-2024, 12:45 PM   #3
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Yeah this sounds like a grounding issue to me that is getting fixed when you move wires around. The fact that you can't communicate to the DME until after you mess with the ignition coils also sort of confirms that.

I would start by checking all the grounds in that general vicinity and even remove each, clean it and reassemble to make sure there are no issues.
Appreciate 1