E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 cylinder timing correction on all cylinders HELP

08-24-2024, 01:50 PM   #1
3durtyfiveeye
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

N54 cylinder timing correction on all cylinders HELP

I have a 2008 bmw 335i at 165k miles with down pipes, BOV, intakes, bigger FMIC, billet turbo cartridge, all new vacuum lines, MHD stage 2+ tune, I’ve done the spark plugs and gapped them to .22 in January but the issue I’m running into is that I’m getting cylinder timing correction across all 6 cylinders which are really scaring me, I thought they were my coils then my injectors since I haven’t changed them out since I bought the car last year and the injectors are index 8 and 1 index 6. Whenever I changed them out the issue fixed on one pull but then comes back anytime I go into boost, I’ve tried putting octane booster in and that didn’t fix it and my IAT are around 70-90 degrees at most idk really what it could be. Help plz

1 imagine is before I started having corrections and the other one is after I started having corrections, do you guys think my tune is too aggressive? My STFT aren’t maxing out but on stage 2 it didn’t do any correction pulls.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 07:08 PM   #2
Podunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

if you posted logs, they aren't showing.

1 or 2 degrees correction i wouldn't worry about and is normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 11:05 PM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

We'd have to post a log to see. Have you tried backing the tune down to one octane lower? For example running a 91 oct tune on 93 oct fuel.

Is it consistently across most or all cylinders and how many degrees?

Does it do it on map 0?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 02:31 AM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Is there any way to isolate the cause to injectors or O2 sensors? Not trying to hijack the thread but occasionally I have similar corrections across all cylinders, sometimes up to four degrees. This still happens with MHD Stage 0 flashed, I even ran a tank of 101 octane fuel and it made no difference. In my case I had three original Index 1s in bank 1 and three index 9s in bank two. I replaced two of the three 9s with used index 12s and that fixed the cold ticking, but the timing corrections (and occasional cold idle stumble) are still there. No signs of injectors leaking but I'm thinking they're not metering the proper quantity of fuel.

I don't know much about index 6 or 8 injectors. My understanding is the 7s and 9s are very problematic.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 12:57 PM   #5
3durtyfiveeye
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podunk View Post
if you posted logs, they aren't showing.

1 or 2 degrees correction i wouldn't worry about and is normal.
I don’t know why it’s not showing that sucks, but no it’s 3-4 degrees across all cylinder on WOT
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 12:59 PM   #6
3durtyfiveeye
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
We'd have to post a log to see. Have you tried backing the tune down to one octane lower? For example running a 91 oct tune on 93 oct fuel.

Is it consistently across most or all cylinders and how many degrees?

Does it do it on map 0?
I’m not sure how to post a log im going to see about doing that but we have 91 octane where I live and that’s the highest fuel there is, I put octane booster in to raise the octane a bit but it still kept doing the cylinder timing corrections, I’m also getting misfire codes for cylinders 4 and 1
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 01:01 PM   #7
3durtyfiveeye
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Is there any way to isolate the cause to injectors or O2 sensors? Not trying to hijack the thread but occasionally I have similar corrections across all cylinders, sometimes up to four degrees. This still happens with MHD Stage 0 flashed, I even ran a tank of 101 octane fuel and it made no difference. In my case I had three original Index 1s in bank 1 and three index 9s in bank two. I replaced two of the three 9s with used index 12s and that fixed the cold ticking, but the timing corrections (and occasional cold idle stumble) are still there. No signs of injectors leaking but I'm thinking they're not metering the proper quantity of fuel.

I don't know much about index 6 or 8 injectors. My understanding is the 7s and 9s are very problematic.
The thing is I replaced my injectors with my buddy’s index 12’s coded them and all and it actually did one pull that had 1 timing correction on cylinder 4 and 5 that was like -4 or something but then on the other pulls it started pulling timing on all cylinders from the minute it goes into boost to the minute it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 04:38 PM   #8
3durtyfiveeye
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post

I’ve also changed my rear O2’s and don’t have any codes other than the misfire codes which it doesn’t feel like it’s misfiring only at idle or cold start but when I’m driving I get cylinder timing correction like bad bad
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 05:57 AM   #9
Podunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

OK, what is LPFP pressure and HPFP pressure throught the RPM range on a 3rd gear pull?

if LPFP drops below 50, LPFP is bad, is HPFP drops below i think 1500 ( Correct me if i'm wrong forum) during WOT then the HPFP is getting weak.

have you tried different gas stations in area and their 91 octane? as not all 91 octane is the same. i would try ACN 91 instead of a straight 91 tune and see if that helps.

also what are your short term fuel trims during WOT or STFT for bank 1 and 2?

another thing, how many miles on engine, if high mileage, you may want to do a walnut blast, and run some sea foam through it to clean carbon off the pistons.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 02:52 PM   #10
3durtyfiveeye
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podunk View Post
OK, what is LPFP pressure and HPFP pressure throught the RPM range on a 3rd gear pull?

if LPFP drops below 50, LPFP is bad, is HPFP drops below i think 1500 ( Correct me if i'm wrong forum) during WOT then the HPFP is getting weak.

have you tried different gas stations in area and their 91 octane? as not all 91 octane is the same. i would try ACN 91 instead of a straight 91 tune and see if that helps.

also what are your short term fuel trims during WOT or STFT for bank 1 and 2?

another thing, how many miles on engine, if high mileage, you may want to do a walnut blast, and run some sea foam through it to clean carbon off the pistons.
I’ve recently got front oxygen sensor codes that popped up a check engine light so I’m planning on changing those but my car has 166,500 miles mostly highway miles since it’s a California car and it was driven to Utah and back a couple times and now I have it in Wyoming but I’m planning on cleaning the carbon build up today and maybe getting some seafoam
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 08:20 AM   #11
derekderek
Rep
Drives: 2015 320iX

what is so bad about timing correction? isn't the dme supposed to adjust fuel and timing to keep you from burning pistons, etc? salt lake city 4200 feet altitude. could be part of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 09:45 AM   #12
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekderek View Post
what is so bad about timing correction? isn't the dme supposed to adjust fuel and timing to keep you from burning pistons, etc? salt lake city 4200 feet altitude. could be part of the issue.
Yes, it's better to correct when needed than to not correct.

Some corrections at times are normal but the problem is when it comes to spark knock (detonation) the DME can only pull timing AFTER a detonation event occurs, meaning while it's effective at mitigating the hit the engine takes, some detonation has already occurred by the time of a timing correction. Lots of these or a few huge ones can do a lot of damage to an engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 11:00 AM   #13
suspect
.******.
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3durtyfiveeye View Post
I’m not sure how to post a log im going to see about doing that but we have 91 octane where I live and that’s the highest fuel there is, I put octane booster in to raise the octane a bit but it still kept doing the cylinder timing corrections, I’m also getting misfire codes for cylinders 4 and 1
Create an account on datazap and upload the csv file there. Post a link here.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 12:20 AM   #14
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Yes, it's better to correct when needed than to not correct.

Some corrections at times are normal but the problem is when it comes to spark knock (detonation) the DME can only pull timing AFTER a detonation event occurs, meaning while it's effective at mitigating the hit the engine takes, some detonation has already occurred by the time of a timing correction. Lots of these or a few huge ones can do a lot of damage to an engine.

I thought I read somewhere that the MSD80/81 DME for the N54 uses some logic to pull timing before an actual knock event.
Appreciate 0