E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please help diagnose sound.. Alternator?

09-06-2024, 06:38 PM   #1
bmwdude955
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i xdrive

Please help diagnose sound.. Alternator?

You can really hear the noise between 10 - 13 seconds and 25 - 28 seconds

Here is the video https://streamable.com/idytzw
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 09:41 PM   #2
Grease23
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

It does sound like a noisy alternator bearing, although usually there is more rattle to that sound than whine.

Shake the can, and shoot a little WD40 in through the slots and see if the sound gets temporarily better.

Or take a long screw driver, touch the blade to the housing, and put your ear on the end of the handle. You'll know exactly what your bearings are sounding like. This can be dangerous if you have loose clothing or long hair.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 10:55 PM   #3
bmwdude955
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease23 View Post
It does sound like a noisy alternator bearing, although usually there is more rattle to that sound than whine.

Shake the can, and shoot a little WD40 in through the slots and see if the sound gets temporarily better.

Or take a long screw driver, touch the blade to the housing, and put your ear on the end of the handle. You'll know exactly what your bearings are sounding like. This can be dangerous if you have loose clothing or long hair.
I have been chasing this sound for nearly 2 years it was only while accelerating but just today I noticed it while letting it idle I thought it was pretty much everything you can think of I’m glad I finally think I have it isolated. Also my battery is maybe 6 months old and I noticed it’s at like 70% so yeah
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2024, 10:56 AM   #4
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I don’t hear what you are chasing but have chased my own noises in the past from something similar. Two suggestions.
First, the alternator has an overrunning clutch in the pulley. If it goes bad it can cause some funny sounds due to dynamics in the belt/engine/rotating accessories. Look at the tensioner and see if it’s bouncing around or smooth. If bouncing, it could be the pulley. You can check the pulley by removing the belt and putting a screw driver into alternator (carefully) on fins to keep it from rotating and turning the pulley. In one direction is should be solid and in the other you should be able to turn it while the alternator isn’t rotating.

You can buy shorter belts at autozone or similar and bypass the alternator to see if the sound goes away. Also, can bypass A/C, etc. Bypassing the alternator with set some codes and you wouldn’t want to drive around that way. I assume the codes would clear with driving after alternator back in loop but I don’t know for sure, I reset codes with INPA when I did it.

Good luck
Appreciate 1