E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Base to HK + CIC iDrive retrofit?

09-11-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
moz335d
makes poor financial decisions
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only M57 powered vehicles

Base to HK + CIC iDrive retrofit?

I've done some research into potentially retrofitting a Harmon Kardon / L7 setup & CIC I-drive from a complete donor car.

The 11' 335d is a base-base model, no idrive, base audio, beige interior peasant spec. I have a complete 11' 335i M-sport I picked up for parts with CIC I-drive, full HK audio system, black/saddle interior.

The intent is to full interior swap (carpet, dash, headliner, pillars, etc.) at some point, quite busy at the moment so this will be a long term project for sure.

I came across a full audio system retrofit which would be basically what I am after since everything, including the carpet, and door panels, would be removed already to make things easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFkK638FFo

Also VickyK's DIY: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847099

And his reference DIY: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1175122

As far as the Idrive retrofit, that has been covered extensively and I don't think it would be a problem.

For audio, it is well established that a DSP + technic PnP harness w/aftermarket speakers is best, but that costs thousands of dollars compared to free.

The goal is NOT to achieve that level of audio, but to have CIC iDrive and literally anything better than the base audio in place at the same time as doing all the interior swap work.

The Fischer DSP with Morel & Gladen speakers is night and day compared to HK, and base system isn't even comparable. (the Morel underseats are freaking amazing).

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 07:16 AM   #2
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

I did one few weeks ago.

I've indeed followed the video you've posted to understand want is the project extend.

I managed to almost cut no wire to complete this , but the 12v+ for the amp and the coax to the diversity antenna since I have a wagon I didnt feel like to fish the wire in the hatch loom.
Seriously dont waste your time to fish out the 12v, cut it, and pull each side out, and resolder it. both ends are too big to get through the small spaces.

This is not difficult, but wow it takes time. Doors loom and card swap is a good 4-6h.
Simply removing the main harness without breaking stuff is a good 3-4 hours.

No need to identified the all the plugs, but speakers wire I found easier to trace if you label them.

Getting the junction box out is an other challenge if you want to plug the amp 12v+ OEM like. You can use the car battery, but I wanted OEM.

My car was CCC+HIFI , and swapped CIC+Individual. So the setup was similar, I did not have any issue, no coding on my side.

Only difference in the wiring was one of the harness had a extra plug, which I think was for the CD changer. Leave it unplugged, no issue.

Is it worth it?

Well for the CIC yes for sure, you can have full androidauto or carplay with a module.

Sound wise, depends, if you're not audiophile and like OEM yes. Options 2 is a complete aftermarket sound system, amp and speakers. HK or individual is pretty weak for the option msrp price.
Appreciate 0