E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC/Combox Retrofit Coding Help.

08-18-2024, 10:48 AM   #1
EvoScorp
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i N54

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
CIC/Combox Retrofit Coding Help.

Hello everyone,
I am sure this subject has probably been beat to death but I had recently performed a NON-iDrive to iDrive CIC/Telemetrics Retrofit on my 2009 E90 335i.

I am looking for any good step by step tutorials on how to perform the coding to make everyone work as it should. So far most stuff seems to work ok, but I do not have navigation, naturally, and I believe there are some minor things that do not work that I do not know of.

I know my vin needs to be added to the CIC system I believe and the manuf date changed to 3/11 for the combox to work properly. I also have questions on cabling. I know when I look at my error codes it shows my GPS cable either missing or not working. I am not sure what cable is needed and where it goes to get that to recognize. I have installed a TCU/Mulf conversion harness and that seems to be ok. I did have one cable left over from my car that I was not sure where it went. I could send a pic if that helps.

Any info would be great and appreciated.

Or if anyone performs the coding service that would be great to.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2024, 06:28 AM   #2
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

So have you coded the CIC, Kombi and media yet?
Pic would be good, is it a single wire left on your old plug from the combox retrofit?
I’m no expert but did a combox semi recently on mine
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2024, 11:18 AM   #3
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have performed two CCC/MULF>CIC/COMBOX retrofits using this guide.

As for the GPS, if the antenna connector is plugged into the COMBOX and not damaged, it could be a bad COMBOX. It has to have the black multipin connector, BN2000 model. The white BN2010 version does not work in E9X retrofits, AFAIK.

Hope that is helpful, if you need any of the software tools shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 07:34 AM   #4
EvoScorp
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
So have you coded the CIC, Kombi and media yet?
Pic would be good, is it a single wire left on your old plug from the combox retrofit?
I’m no expert but did a combox semi recently on mine
Thank you for your reply, sorry for the late response, life has been busy. So, I have not coded anything yet, I am a bit hesitant yet as I am not 100% of all the steps and don't want to mess something up.

I have included some pictures, the 2 cables in the pictures are what I had left over from my retrofit, Blue and Purple. I have the blue connector on the ComBox but neither of the cables left over are the same type of cable so I assumed neither of them were for that empty port.

Is the blue plug on the ComBox where the GPS cable would connect? If so, where do I run it to?

Thank you in advance for your help and feedback.
Attached Images

Last edited by EvoScorp; 09-08-2024 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Try to add images
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 08:48 AM   #5
EvoScorp
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
I have performed two CCC/MULF>CIC/COMBOX retrofits using this guide.

As for the GPS, if the antenna connector is plugged into the COMBOX and not damaged, it could be a bad COMBOX. It has to have the black multipin connector, BN2000 model. The white BN2010 version does not work in E9X retrofits, AFAIK.

Hope that is helpful, if you need any of the software tools shoot me a PM.
Thank you for your feedback, I do have the BN2000 model. I have looked at the guide a few times in the past that you have sent, but am just not comfortable with the coding as of yet. I had gotten a lot of software off of a user on here and have loaded it all but am not sure if I have it all set up properly or not and if I do, how to use it properly. Once I am shown once, I would be good to go in doing it myself, just need to see it in action. Also, not sure if I have to remove my MHD tune first before coding it, I thought I read that somewhere, I could be wrong.

I purchased the iDrive system including the ComBox from a donor 2011 328i which from what I saw, was working ok including the GPS. So I am sure I just don't have something hooked up properly and obviously do not have it coded to my car as of yet. I want to make sure all is hooked up properly.

If you look at my pictures, I posted in my previous text, I am not sure I have the GPS hooked up. If it is the blue connector on the ComBox, I do not know where to connect that to, given the cables I have left over do not match the cable type. Also, where would I hook the telemetrics connectors to, I believe they are the double black connections on the right, unless I am wrong.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Last edited by EvoScorp; 09-08-2024 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 01:32 PM   #6
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hello again,

I decided to take a look in my trunk, to refresh my old tired memory, and realized the GPS connects to the CIC, not the COMBOX. Here is a shot of my COMBOX:

It looks like yours is all sorted, the black connector is USB and the white one on the end is Bluetooth. I see a MOST connector that should have a terminator on it, looks like it does, but just checking.

So, hopefully, you just missed a connection behind the CIC itself. I don't think MHD would in any way affect the coding for this retrofit, as all you are talking to are the CIC, COMBOX, KOMBI, CAS, FRM modules.

If you have absolutely zero experience coding, I might suggest you find someone to do that part for you. I had limited experience, but am a computer tech by trade, so this was not too bad. I also re-pinned the connectors, rather than get a harness like you have. Could also be the harness, as that is the only unknown in your scenario.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2024, 07:07 PM   #7
EvoScorp
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
Hello again,

I decided to take a look in my trunk, to refresh my old tired memory, and realized the GPS connects to the CIC, not the COMBOX. Here is a shot of my COMBOX:

It looks like yours is all sorted, the black connector is USB and the white one on the end is Bluetooth. I see a MOST connector that should have a terminator on it, looks like it does, but just checking.

So, hopefully, you just missed a connection behind the CIC itself. I don't think MHD would in any way affect the coding for this retrofit, as all you are talking to are the CIC, COMBOX, KOMBI, CAS, FRM modules.

If you have absolutely zero experience coding, I might suggest you find someone to do that part for you. I had limited experience, but am a computer tech by trade, so this was not too bad. I also re-pinned the connectors, rather than get a harness like you have. Could also be the harness, as that is the only unknown in your scenario.

Thank you for all your info, I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I am very tech savvy as well, just not confident with the coding aspect of things on these cars.

I went through all of the wiring and made my own retrofit cable for the CIC head unit, screen, and iDrive controller and wired it up to the fuse box and to the black cable below the fuse box. It looks as if it was factory.

For the Combox, I was going to pin new connectors and make my own harness but by the time I purchased all of the connectors and pins it was just cheaper to purchase an already made harness. When I received it, I went through off of it's wires as well to make sure everything was wired properly and going where it needed to go.

If the GPS cable gets wired to the back of the CIC unit, what connector does it connect to on the back of the CIC, and where dose the other end of that GPS cable connect to? I did purchased a very long GPS cable but was not sure where to connect it to and from. I attached a picture of the back of my CIC unit. The Blue circle and arrow point to the only port that is not used on the back of my unit. Is that where the GPS gets connected to? I didn't hook anything up to it because I could have sworn I read that this was for SiriusXM but maybe I read wrong. But if that is the GPS, where does that connection get connected to on the other end?

Does it get connected to one of the 2 cables I had left over when I swapped out the combox? Those 2 left over cables are in my earlier picture.

The second picture is of cables I found in the center of my center console, around where the iDrive controller is, but I was told this was for a cell phone cradle if it was equipped. One of them does look like a GPS cable though.

If I could find someone who could code it I would, but I am ok with doing it as long as I have good instructions.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Last edited by EvoScorp; 09-12-2024 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Add some more information.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 08:15 PM   #8
EvoScorp
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Ok, I just looked it up and the Pink one that is circled is for satelite radio. The one on the bottom right (should be blue but it is missing the plastic connection) that is GPS, and the one on the left (Should be black but it is missing the plastic connection as well) is the AM/FM antenna. I believe I have something plugged into the Blue GPS, but not sure where that went to. I will have to see if I can trace that cable out, maybe it is one of the ones in the back that I have left over. I will check it out this weekend and update if I find anything.

If anyone has anything to add, please feel free, comments are always welcome. Thank you.
Appreciate 0