E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Some Finacial advice

09-18-2024, 10:09 PM   #1
BMW Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2011

Some Finacial advice

In March of this year, I signed what will probably be the most stupid financial decision of my life: A 16211 car loan at a 27% interest rate! I was in need of a car and really wanted a 335i badly. Having no credit at the time, I had a difficult time even securing this loan. Realizing what a fool I was a few days after purchasing it, I came up with enough sense to go back and cancel the $2600 warranty I had purchased leaving me with around $13600 left to pay off. Lucky for me, the previous owner had done most all of the major repairs to it allowing me to focus my money towards paying down my loan. 6 months later, here I am with 7500 left to pay off. I have been doing double payments a month plus putting my college refund I get toward my loan, which I have calculated will have the car paid off by March of next year, turning my 5-year loan into a 1. My credit score has gone up since then but I can't get anyone to Refi with me because of the car's mileage and year. I've checked about every personal loan option there is and can't get anything below 29%. I've also tried applying for 0 APR credit cards but can't get approved.
My question is should I just continue paying it down and stop trying to get a refi or personal loan, or keep looking around to find something better? Any suggestion for good lenders for new credit guys like me?
Moral of the story: BUILD CREDIT OR PAY IN CASH!
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2024, 10:27 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Keep trying to get a credit card with a 0-3% balance transfer option, they're out there. Usually need to pay it off in a year. But you can do it in six months, so that's great. Check your local credit union, they may be a better option than the big nationals. Worst case you pay it off in March and learned a lesson!
Appreciate 1
BMW Guy28.50
      09-18-2024, 10:49 PM   #3
chris55552
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i 2012 E92 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Guy View Post
In March of this year, I signed what will probably be the most stupid financial decision of my life: A 16211 car loan at a 27% interest rate! I was in need of a car and really wanted a 335i badly. Having no credit at the time, I had a difficult time even securing this loan. Realizing what a fool I was a few days after purchasing it, I came up with enough sense to go back and cancel the $2600 warranty I had purchased leaving me with around $13600 left to pay off. Lucky for me, the previous owner had done most all of the major repairs to it allowing me to focus my money towards paying down my loan. 6 months later, here I am with 7500 left to pay off. I have been doing double payments a month plus putting my college refund I get toward my loan, which I have calculated will have the car paid off by March of next year, turning my 5-year loan into a 1. My credit score has gone up since then but I can't get anyone to Refi with me because of the car's mileage and year. I've checked about every personal loan option there is and can't get anything below 29%. I've also tried applying for 0 APR credit cards but can't get approved.
My question is should I just continue paying it down and stop trying to get a refi or personal loan, or keep looking around to find something better? Any suggestion for good lenders for new credit guys like me?
I did the same thing when my credit score was low. I tried to refinance the vehicle but the lender was being a total ass about it, the loan eventually got upside down and I worked out a deal wtih them to surrender the vehicle and allow them to sell it and put the proceeds of the sale towards my principle and then pay off the difference. Glad I did it. What made it worse is as soon as I bought the 2017 x3 the engine burned up so I had a useless heap of metal I had a 27 percent interest rate on, was forced to buy something else so I got a 328i and thank god BMW of north america good willed me a new N55 motor so I could get it back running and sell it. That was critical, it was also a financially draining experience I learned alot from like you.
Appreciate 1
BMW Guy28.50
      09-18-2024, 10:53 PM   #4
chris55552
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i 2012 E92 328XI

Quote:
I know you dont want to give it up, but you can work out deals with the lender to surrender the vehicle with the agreement of paying off the difference and have them do the paperwork where it doesnt have a huge negative impact on your credit score. It can be done.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2024, 11:41 PM   #5
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
My wife and I have been together for 19 years now, I'm 37. We have a zero debt policy in our life. If we can't afford to pay for something in cash, we can't buy it. We are unfortunately lucky (car accident settlement) to even buy our house with cash. No matter how poor we were, zero debt. My first 10-12 years of owning a car, they were $500-$2000 cars. Always did my own wrenching; clutch jobs on jack stands, automatic transmission valve body jobs on the ground, etc...
Edit. $18,000 student loan took 5 years to pay off. But we also saved money while doing it too.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2024, 12:15 AM   #6
rvphuerta
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Just keep paying it down. If you want to keep the car, learn to do the maintenance yourself. I'm surprised no credit has approved you yet.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2024, 06:17 AM   #7
BMW Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvphuerta View Post
Just keep paying it down. If you want to keep the car, learn to do the maintenance yourself. I'm surprised no credit has approved you yet.
I have learned to do all of the maintenance myself. Most banks won't finance you if your car is more than 10 years old or is over 100k. Also, even though I'm making double payments, the banks only reporting one so one of the guys at a refi company said I'm probably going to need at least 6 payments reported before I get accepted. That probably won't be the case tell late October.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 06:25 AM   #8
BMW Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris55552 View Post
I know you dont want to give it up, but you can work out deals with the lender to surrender the vehicle with the agreement of paying off the difference and have them do the paperwork where it doesnt have a huge negative impact on your credit score. It can be done.
Had I only been able to do the minimum payment a month, I probably would have done something like this. But right now, I'm almost a year ahead on my loan and I will be receiving my school refund in the amount of 2200 in October which will bring my balance to $5000 something, I think the best option would be to just pay it off.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 06:27 AM   #9
BMW Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Keep trying to get a credit card with a 0-3% balance transfer option, they're out there. Usually need to pay it off in a year. But you can do it in six months, so that's great. Check your local credit union, they may be a better option than the big nationals. Worst case you pay it off in March and learned a lesson!
Looks like March its going to be. I am definitely going to start focusing more on finding a low-interest credit card.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2024, 12:01 PM   #10
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Looks like March its going to be. I am definitely going to start focusing more on finding a low-interest credit card.
Hopefully it's a good car for you that you can keep a long time! Over 10 years, the cost of ownership even including exorbitant interest will all average out!
Appreciate 1
BMW Guy28.50
      09-19-2024, 12:10 PM   #11
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Keep in mind that applying for a bunch of cards/loans and other things are going to plummet your credit score for a couple of years, it doesn't matter if it is approved or denied it will negatively affect your score until that hard inquiry falls off your credit report. I honestly think you are better off just doubling up your payments like you have been doing for some time. It will also slightly help to improve your credit score a bit.

Also start off with a credit card that designed for lower credit scores like Capital one Quicksilver or similar. You won't get the crazy starting promos, but you can't just expect companies to give you all kinds of promos when it sonds like you are a subprime borrower. There are tools out there that can give you some ok ideas of what cards you might qualify for like Credit Karma (keep in mind there is risk with anything you provide your information to nowadays).

Anyway, I would strongly recommend you stop applying for all these cards or loans and focus on paying down what you currently owe on your car. Focus on applying for 1 solid card that you can actually qualify for and buckle down for a few year. Make purchases with your card, and pay it down. I usually recommend people carry a small balance every other month on a credit card. The reason for this is that it actively shows FICO that you are actually using the card AND paying it off on a regular basis.

This is a good resource to start with: https://www.myfico.com/credit-educat...r-credit-score

keep in mind that credit scores are quite complex but FICO is the market leader in credit score keeping.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2024, 04:28 PM   #12
BMW Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Keep in mind that applying for a bunch of cards/loans and other things are going to plummet your credit score for a couple of years, it doesn't matter if it is approved or denied it will negatively affect your score until that hard inquiry falls off your credit report. I honestly think you are better off just doubling up your payments like you have been doing for some time. It will also slightly help to improve your credit score a bit.

Also start off with a credit card that designed for lower credit scores like Capital one Quicksilver or similar. You won't get the crazy starting promos, but you can't just expect companies to give you all kinds of promos when it sonds like you are a subprime borrower. There are tools out there that can give you some ok ideas of what cards you might qualify for like Credit Karma (keep in mind there is risk with anything you provide your information to nowadays).

Anyway, I would strongly recommend you stop applying for all these cards or loans and focus on paying down what you currently owe on your car. Focus on applying for 1 solid card that you can actually qualify for and buckle down for a few year. Make purchases with your card, and pay it down. I usually recommend people carry a small balance every other month on a credit card. The reason for this is that it actively shows FICO that you are actually using the card AND paying it off on a regular basis.

This is a good resource to start with: https://www.myfico.com/credit-educat...r-credit-score

keep in mind that credit scores are quite complex but FICO is the market leader in credit score keeping.
Most of the places I have applied for are only prequalifications, so they are not impacting my score. I actually have had the Capital One Savor One card for about 6 months and I like it a lot except that the APR is 30%! My credit score is 716 so I don't think that's holding back as much as the fact that I've only used credit for about 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 04:50 PM   #13
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most of the places I have applied for are only prequalifications, so they are not impacting my score. I actually have had the Capital One Savor One card for about 6 months and I like it a lot except that the APR is 30%! My credit score is 716 so I don't think that's holding back as much as the fact that I've only used credit for about 6 months.

Which score is 716? because there isn't just 1 score theres tons of different scores and lenders will use different scores for different situations. Your scores can vary wildly by sometimes 100 points or more. Some scores even have an entirely different range that don't top out at 850. Its wild!

If you sign up for myFICO they will actually give you a ton of insight into that, they have a car buying score, a credit card score (and even different revisions of those scores). For example Capital one might use FICO BankCard 3, then you go to Chase and they will use FICO BankCard 7 which will be different and will qualify you for different levels. Its all needlessly complicated IMHO. Although FICO is usually the market leader some lenders won't even use FICO, some will use the VantageScore from Experian or a different score from another credit bureau.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 05:10 PM   #14
BMW Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Which score is 716? because there isn't just 1 score theres tons of different scores and lenders will use different scores for different situations. Your scores can vary wildly by sometimes 100 points or more. Some scores even have an entirely different range that don't top out at 850. Its wild!

If you sign up for myFICO they will actually give you a ton of insight into that, they have a car buying score, a credit card score (and even different revisions of those scores). For example Capital one might use FICO BankCard 3, then you go to Chase and they will use FICO BankCard 7 which will be different and will qualify you for different levels. Its all needlessly complicated IMHO. Although FICO is usually the market leader some lenders won't even use FICO, some will use the VantageScore from Experian or a different score from another credit bureau.
Its VantageScore. Has anyone had experience with Exeter Finance? I supposedly got approved by them. I'm reading some really bad things about that place so I'm kinda worried.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 06:20 PM   #15
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its VantageScore. Has anyone had experience with Exeter Finance? I supposedly got approved by them. I'm reading some really bad things about that place so I'm kinda worried.
IMHO Vantagescore is mostly worthless nowadays. Sign up for a free Fico account so you can get a much better idea of a real score.

Exeter is a "sub prime" auto loan company and is likely to add tons of hidden fees and have pretty high interest rates themselves. Did they give you information on the loan the approved you for? There are a few lawsuits against them for various shady business practices.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 06:31 PM   #16
BMW Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
IMHO Vantagescore is mostly worthless nowadays. Sign up for a free Fico account so you can get a much better idea of a real score.

Exeter is a "sub prime" auto loan company and is likely to add tons of hidden fees and have pretty high interest rates themselves. There are a few lawsuits against them for various shady business practices.
Yikes! Glad I checked before signing anything. I just remembered that I had applied to Space Coast Credit Union a couple of months ago but had been turned down at that time. I decided to apply again and I got approved! I'm not sure what the terms are but this bank is pretty common in my area and is what my friend recommended to me when trying to find a refi company so maybe this will be the one.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 10:31 PM   #17
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yikes! Glad I checked before signing anything. I just remembered that I had applied to Space Coast Credit Union a couple of months ago but had been turned down at that time. I decided to apply again and I got approved! I'm not sure what the terms are but this bank is pretty common in my area and is what my friend recommended to me when trying to find a refi company so maybe this will be the one.
Nice! as a general rule of thumb local Credit Unions usually have great rates and solid loans.
Appreciate 0