E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i N54 stopped while driving

09-19-2024, 04:38 PM   #1
Topgiyr
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan - White

335i N54 stopped while driving

Hi,
Last fall, I installed new fuel pump and filter in my 2007 335i, as the old one had cracked. I did oil change and drove it around when I noticed severe (to me, atleast) oil leak from under the car. I meant to fix the leak but never got around to. So the car has been sitting on my driveway for 8 months with almost a full tank of gas.

Recently, I got a safety recall notice for Takata airbags. I thought I'd take it to the dealer to fix the airbag and also have them look at the leak and possibly fix it. The battery had drained completely, so replaced the old with the same battery from Costco, but didn't code it yet.

On my way to the dealer, a couple of miles from my home, the car just lost power and stopped. No codes or warnings. I managed to pull the car to the side of the road and have it towed to the dealer. I told the service manager about the recall that I came in for, to look into the oil leak and how the car just died on my way there. I thought it may be bad gas and told him so.

The dealer just came back saying that the fuel pump is bad and needs replacement. They couldn't start the car as there was no pressure found. They did a multi-point inspection and everything else came good. I suspect they didn't find the oil leak because they couldn't start the car. It'd be $1400 for the service.

Is there any way I could confirm it's the fuel pump that's gone bad? If not, what else can I have the service manager look into?

I can re-install the fuel pump and filter again if need be, but I want to be sure. I got the parts from FCP, so I am fairly confident the parts are not counterfeit.

Any help will be great.

Thanks,
Kishan.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 06:28 PM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

i mean... its at the dealer. If you are paying them to diagnose the car just let them diagnose it. Be skeptical of whatever they tell you since stealerships are famous for just throwing parts at any problem they "think' is causing your issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 06:39 PM   #3
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Which fuel pump?

Just for clarity, your car has 2 fuel pumps. One is in the fuel tank, and gets gas to the inlet for the second fuel pump, the high pressure fuel pump. (HPFP) The HPFP delivers fuel to the cylinders via the fuel injectors.

Which pump did you replace? You said it cracked, which sounds like the in-tank pump. Which pump is the dealer telling you is bad? HPFP failure is a known issue on the N54.

If they are the same pump, then get on the horn to FCP and begin the warranty replacement process. If they are different pumps, then you are going to have to replace the now failed one.

The dealer has all the tools needed to determine the cause of the fault. If you have your own diagnostic suite, you could verify, but you would need the car at your house. It is a bad fuel pump, no doubt, just need to nail it down to which one and proceed with your wallet.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 09:43 PM   #4
Topgiyr
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan - White

Thank you

@BRG_N54, I replaced the in-tank fuel pump and fuel filter. the service report doesn't specify which fuel pump has failed.

Verbatim, this is what I got:

Fuel Pump Replacement: car will not car still outside check spins but no run check for fuel pressure no pressure found diag 1.0 tow in .5 and fuel pump replacement 2.5 first to due is pump unit. The fuel pump creates pressure in the fuel lines, which pushes gasoline through the fuel injectors and into the engine.

I will check with the dealer and update here. If it's HPFP, is $1400 a decent service cost?

Regards,
Kishan.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #5
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgiyr View Post
@BRG_N54, I replaced the in-tank fuel pump and fuel filter. the service report doesn't specify which fuel pump has failed.

Verbatim, this is what I got:

Fuel Pump Replacement: car will not car still outside check spins but no run check for fuel pressure no pressure found diag 1.0 tow in .5 and fuel pump replacement 2.5 first to due is pump unit. The fuel pump creates pressure in the fuel lines, which pushes gasoline through the fuel injectors and into the engine.
That certainly sounds like the HPFP, since they mentioned injectors. Strange wording tough, I'm sure a simple call to the service manager can clarify. As for the price, the pump itself is up to $1100 from FCP. So an additional $300 to install sounds fair, plus you have the backing of the dealer for the workmanship.
Appreciate 0