E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > SOLVED: N54 Oscillating throttle position/surge at steady speed

09-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #89
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

You absolutely can get the oxygen sensors to complete for inspection. You have to flash to MHD V10 Stage 0 tune and select your necessary options (catless, tmap ect.). Then do a proper drive cycle. I just did this this week and everything set except catalyst. It took a few days for Evaporative system to set. Need to be under 3/4 tank of gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 09:22 AM   #90
Scooternjj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I have been dealing with the same issue of lunging at steady speeds. My 08 335 is completely stock with no tunes. I have replaced the coils and plugs and just completed a walnut blast of the intake valves. Ran great for about 20 minutes after the walnut blast and now is back to lunging. So far I am not getting any codes to show up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the BMW family.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #91
Mrjeff629
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 E92 335i 6MT

I’ve had the same issue on my ’06 E92 335i 6MT with N54 until today. The car counts 162k km now, so roughly 100k miles.
I drove MHD Stage 1 V7 with 45 % wastegate rattlefix, MT shift bog fix and stock DP selected only with upgraded charge pipe since 2019 without any single creeping issue until last month.
Recently I decided to upgrade my FMIC and afterwards everything went just as normal. Then I flashed the current version of MHD, long flash, but Stage 1+ Map V7.1. Same as before regarding waste gate rattlefix etc.
And then came the jerking/oscillating behavior around 1500 to 2100 rpm with nearly no load or 10-20 % pedal. Just slightly… but it was driving me nuts. What had changed since the day before? Only the new version of MHD – no doubt. And the issue was not there.

So I did (before) and tried physically
o Intake valves cleaned ~30.000 km
o Checked the vacuum hoses which ALL had been changed in 2018 – still OK
o Pressure of LPFP and HPFP OK
o Also no fuel leaking, no cracks, nothing
o Injectors were changed before I bought the car in 2016… but index? INPA says all injectors are working fine and I don’t have (had) any other issue than that damn jerking
o Spark Plugs NGK 95770 0.6 mm recently changed (500 km…)
o Cleaned Vanos solenoids
o Coil packs changed now to Delphi
o Changed TMAP sensor now to Delphi
o Changed low pressure fuel sensor to Bosch (new version + adapter)
o Inspected intake manifold, valve cover, searching for air leaks… nothing

And I tried in MHD
o Logging brought same oscillating curves as already shown in the thread
o Then flashed V6, V8, V9, V10… same crap
o Waste gate rattlefix in 5 % steps up to 100 %
o Aftermarket DP selected for the oscillation fix
o Complete removal of MHD* + new flash
o Reset of all adaptions via MHD
o Reset of all adaptions via ISTA-D
o … perhaps a lot more I can’t remember
*Complete removal of MHD also seemed to solve the issue, but an N54 completely stock without tune? Ah.. c’mon.

All of my actions changed literally nothing in tuned state. 0. It was driving me crazy. But all these years it was working with the old MHD Stage 1 V7 without problems… damn… I was thinking about changing simply all o2 sensors, injectors, LPFP, HPFP and perhaps more… but then came back to the Vanos solenoids.
I cleaned them a few years ago and they really seemed to be sludged in thick oil. But this time I did the same and they still seemed to be fine – so I thought. Then think again.
In my case what I've read in forums around the world the majority of people who finally had the answer… changed the Vanos solenoids or complete Vanos (depends).
So I just gave it a shot and changed the solenoids to new ones from Pierburg (aftermarket) which is also a big tier 1 supplier for BMW themselves. The quality of Pierburg parts gets very close to OEM.
And you know what? I was smiling all over today, since the jerking was gone for the first time with MHD Stage 1+ V7.1 still flashed. Yesterday I drove the car and it was jerking in low rpms with nearly no load. The only thing changed today: New Vanos solenoids! That was at least my solution for this damn issue and might not be working for others.
Appreciate 0