E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Thicker oil in n54??

09-21-2024, 07:00 AM   #23
Aode06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4maro View Post
will you get a smooth start though if your injectors are leaking? or can it still start fine and be leaking into the oil?
Leaking injectors causes a rough shaky idle.

The N54 TWIN TURBO ENGINE COOKS OIL WATER THIN !
As a technician and engine rebuilder, I only reccomend the Shell Rotella T6 5w40 diesel oil in your gasoline BMW turbo engine. The protection is INSANE !!! And when I used a thermal imaging camera, the heat on the rod and main bearings produced lower temperatures than any other oil .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #24
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

How are you able to see the rod and main bearing temps with a thermal imaging camera when the engine is running? Please explain this......
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #25
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
How are you able to see the rod and main bearing temps with a thermal imaging camera when the engine is running? Please explain this......
dude pop up a old thread to bring this BS.

I dont say this oil is bad (in fact tons of people run this on turbo engine since it has good T° resistance), but the classic '' best oil discussion'' based on subjective fact don't get me.

Reminds me people like '' oh , my car is the best car, more reliable car I ever owned, no issue at all '' .

tap on the roof top ; car is a 2024 with 11k miles.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #26
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
dude pop up a old thread to bring this BS.

I dont say this oil is bad (in fact tons of people run this on turbo engine since it has good T° resistance), but the classic '' best oil discussion'' based on subjective fact don't get me.

Reminds me people like '' oh , my car is the best car, more reliable car I ever owned, no issue at all '' .

tap on the roof top ; car is a 2024 with 11k miles.
I was just asking about his comment of checking thermals on bearings......trying to figure out how in the hell you can do that with the oil pan on the engine and with it running. Seems like a BS claim.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #27
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
I was just asking about his comment of checking thermals on bearings......trying to figure out how in the hell you can do that with the oil pan on the engine and with it running. Seems like a BS claim.
BS for sure.

To says the oil is best, we need some benchmark with base lines.

- oil temps log
- oil quality analysis
- oil thickness graphs over time and T°
- Thermal analysis (Like you said, I wish to find the guy who did this on a N54 and repeat the experience with many oil. Also how can he pin point the rod bearing through the block??)
- existing technical data sheets
- metal wear comparison
- constant variable as possible
- more than 1 results
- observation & documentation
- etc

Hard to do this for cheap, thus the reason why there's so much debate online about this topic.

However, Project Farm YT channel is very not bad at all getting this data for cheap. Missing few key point such as oil contamination over time and oil quality over time, but gives a great idea.

T6 is on forums since F&F era, people putting turbo or SC on a n/a engine when it was cool, always running T6, and based on their experience, it was ''fine''
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #28
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Last edited by AWD Addict; Yesterday at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0