E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > INPA handbrake switch function testing

09-23-2024, 09:22 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

INPA handbrake switch function testing

I'm helping a friend diagnose a brake issue on his E60.

I know INPA has a lot of menus where you can test button and switch functions, but I cannot locate the menu (and corresponding module) where I can test the handbrake switch.

Problem is he replaced rear brake pads before the CBS said to do it and didn't replace the sensor. He reset the CBS but it set remaining pad life to -15000 miles. I tried using ISTA+ to reset it and that didn't work either. I'm thinking the sensor may have worn through the first stage and that's why we can't reset it. He ordered a new sensor. But. I also noticed the BRAKE light remains illuminated on the dash with the handbrake on or off. Not sure if this is related to the brake wear sensor or another issue. Brake fluid level is full.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I'm helping a friend diagnose a brake issue on his E60. I know INPA has a lot of menus where you can test button and switch functions, but I cannot locate the menu (and corresponding module) where I can test the handbrake switch...
I use both INPA & ISTA on E91, but have never done anything on E60. You may need to add E6x Datens files for that chassis. I would START by using Functional Jobs to view two screens: (1) Identification for Module Variants; (2) Error Memory, ALL Modules for complete list of Fault Codes:
INPA > E60 > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification (if same as E9x ?)
INPA > E60 > Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Error Memory ALL Modules

On E9x, all Digital Inputs/Outputs for Brake functions, including Handbrake Switch, are viewed after connecting to DSC Module (Chassis | Dynamic Stability Control). You then select F5 Status Menu & F2 Digital Menu. There are multiple Digital screens; use page down to view later screens. There is also a CBS screen which allows you to see Analog status of Brake Pad Wear Sensors.

The Fault Code(s) in DSC Module should be starting point. If you have other questions, please post back with Last-7 Characters of E60 VIN.
George
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Thanks! I have the E60 datens and was poking around the menus for DSC but had forgotten about the page down and page up.

Sorry for the quality literally a screenshot taken with my camera.
Appreciate 0