E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Cobb Tuning got fined $2.9M: why just them?

Today, 10:33 AM   #23
David70
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
https://theautowire.com/2024/09/19/w...your-car-next/

"Some automotive publications have borderline celebrated this move. We won’t because we’ve been watching with concern as the EPA has moved from hitting big parts manufacturers and resellers, working its way down to small performance shops and dealerships. What’s next are private enthusiasts at their homes."
These articles make me laugh, showing EPA in riot gear. "coming to get my guns!" type articles. Honey, the EPA militia is outside the house, get in the car and head for the hills, I'll try to hold down the fort as long as I can!

Lots of states and counties already require periodic inspections. If your car isn't compliant you don't get your registration renewed until it is.

For the fear of them coming after private enthusiasts, what modern car mods can anyone do without an aftermarket company being involved? There's a reason they go after drug dealers instead of focusing on users.
      Today, 10:34 AM   #24
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
https://theautowire.com/2024/09/19/w...your-car-next/

"Some automotive publications have borderline celebrated this move. We won’t because we’ve been watching with concern as the EPA has moved from hitting big parts manufacturers and resellers, working its way down to small performance shops and dealerships. What’s next are private enthusiasts at their homes."
Yup, the EPA has been progressively targeting smaller and smaller targets.

It's only a matter of time before they go after an individual who modified their car, or bought a modified car. Then it's open season on people who just have old cars. Who's gonna be an individual that stands up to the EPA and their limitless resources?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619204.50
      Today, 10:38 AM   #25
reallymarkedup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 (Status 170)

Quote:
"We won't because we'd rather fill you with fear, uncertainty, and doubt! Ooooo the boogeyman!"
Appreciate 1
      Today, 10:38 AM   #26
reallymarkedup
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post

It's only a matter of time before they go after an individual who modified their car, or bought a modified car. Then it's open season on people who just have old cars. Who's gonna be an individual that stands up to the EPA and their limitless resources?
Oh come on. They don't have the budget or the manpower.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:40 AM   #27
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
These articles make me laugh, showing EPA in riot gear. "coming to get my guns!" type articles. Honey, the EPA militia is outside the house, get in the car and head for the hills, I'll try to hold down the fort as long as I can!

Lots of states and counties already require periodic inspections.

For the fear of them coming after private enthusiasts, what modern car mods can anyone do without an aftermarket company being involved? There's a reason they go after drug dealers instead of focusing on users.
Many states do not require any inspections or emissions, and more and more states and counties are going that way.

Regarding you "they won't come for me" statements. That's what every population that ended up oppressed ever has said. "It doesn't matter if they go after people with red hair, my hair is brown" is foolish to think like. Tyranny always starts with those big bad companies and trickles down to the populace at large once there's nobody left to protect them.

Ultimately, this discussion is doomed to get political, because one side takes full trust in the government to be right, and the other side doesn't want the government to be involved in their lives more than they must be.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:44 AM   #28
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallymarkedup View Post
Oh come on. They don't have the budget or the manpower.
They have FAR more budget and manpower than an individual would. And the way the agencies work, they more they spend, the more they get next year. So they might prosecute 100 people with burble tunes one year, 200 the next, and so on and so forth.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:46 AM   #29
reallymarkedup
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I'm walking away the minute we start trying to compare the EPA doing what the EPA is meant to do with oppressing a population.
Appreciate 2
David701678.00
      Today, 10:47 AM   #30
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Tell us when it happens. Any predictions on what "it's only a matter of time" means? Vague predictions on something that has never happened, that might happen somewhere in the future are simple to say but meaningless.

I'll help you with the last part, you won't stand up the EPA as you won't have any basis to fight it, won't have anything to do with limited resources, you won't have a case. If you live in a state that has inspections and you don't pass one of them it is highly unlikely you are considering taking it to court and it isn't because of money, law is straight forward and you didn't meet it.
      Today, 10:47 AM   #31
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

This isn't getting emotional and hyperbolic at all.
      Today, 10:53 AM   #32
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tell us when it happens. Any predictions on what "it's only a matter of time" means? Vague predictions on something that has never happened, that might happen somewhere in the future are simple to say but meaningless.

I'll help you with the last part, you won't stand up the EPA as you won't have any basis to fight it, won't have anything to do with limited resources, you won't have a case. If you live in a state that has inspections and you don't pass one of them it is highly unlikely you are considering taking it to court.
The future is always changing. It could happen in the next 4 years, it could never happen. Gut feeling, if we keep on the exact same path we are on right now, they'll go after a YouTuber within the decade.

Nevermind. It's already happened. Looks like they sent him a "stop or we will sue you into oblivion" letter and didn't follow through because again, who will stand up to the unlimited effectively resources of the government agencies?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/this-diesel-tesla-got-a-youtuber-in-trouble-with-the-epa/
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:56 AM   #33
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Many states do not require any inspections or emissions, and more and more states and counties are going that way.

Regarding you "they won't come for me" statements. That's what every population that ended up oppressed ever has said. "It doesn't matter if they go after people with red hair, my hair is brown" is foolish to think like. Tyranny always starts with those big bad companies and trickles down to the populace at large once there's nobody left to protect them.

Ultimately, this discussion is doomed to get political, because one side takes full trust in the government to be right, and the other side doesn't want the government to be involved in their lives more than they must be.
Well, you could make scientific or legal arguments with citations, instead of invoking inference about people's trust in government. But, "ultimately" you have chosen otherwise. Seems like you are trying to make it political.
      Today, 10:59 AM   #34
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The future is always changing. It could happen in the next 4 years, it could never happen. Gut feeling, if we keep on the exact same path we are on right now, they'll go after a YouTuber within the decade.

Nevermind. It's already happened. Looks like they sent him a "stop or we will sue you into oblivion" letter and didn't follow through because again, who will stand up to the unlimited effectively resources of the government agencies?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/this...-with-the-epa/
"Benoit got the letter from the EPA after posting several videos about conversions using a diesel engine. In one, he’s driving an old bread truck around town while it spews black smoke out of its exhaust."

Not the best example.
      Today, 11:06 AM   #35
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/this...-with-the-epa/
Thanks for pointing out you have no idea if it will ever happen.

So when you said the EPA will come to my house to get me you actually mean if I have 1.5 million followers on YouTube (it's a business) and I post how to videos of putting an antique diesel engine in my modern car they will tell me to stop? This is again them going after a business.

Seems difficult for many to understand but if you decide to break the law don't post videos of it online.

Quote:
Benoit got the letter from the EPA after posting several videos about conversions using a diesel engine. In one, he’s driving an old bread truck around town while it spews black smoke out of its exhaust. In another, he’s pulling the engine out of that antique truck and putting it into a Tesla with a totaled engine. The EPA’s warning wasn’t specific, but Benoit was pretty sure one of these two videos got him in trouble.
      Today, 11:18 AM   #36
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
... if you decide to break the law don't post videos of it online.
That usually earns a subset of a Darwin Award.

In this case, it could be argued that the EPA gave him a real break by not following up with charges. Sort of undermines the whole 'oppressive government' narrative. "They did me wrong by letting me off with a warning".
David701678.00
      Today, 12:27 PM   #37
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post
That usually earns a subset of a Darwin Award.

In this case, it could be argued that the EPA gave him a real break by not following up with charges. Sort of undermines the whole 'oppressive government' narrative. "They did me wrong by letting me off with a warning".
I don't disagree with either point. But it's also worth pointing out that they have already come after an individual. One could likely make the argument they went lenient on him because of his (apparent) big YouTube following, and he likely was made more than financially whole by making a video (or more) about it.

Will the EPA be as lenient on some Joe shmoe without millions of followers? Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:24 PM   #38
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't disagree with either point. One could likely make the argument they went lenient on him because of his (apparent) big YouTube following, and he likely was made more than financially whole by making a video (or more) about it.

Will the EPA be as lenient on some Joe shmoe without millions of followers? Probably not.
Again, the example you gave was not of an individual at his house, it was of a Rich Rebuilds, a YouTube business getting paid to illegally modify a car. The EPA gave this business a warning, nothing more.

More guesses about what they might do some day if they ever go after an individual doesn't mean anything. "One could likely make an argument...", "...he likely was ....", "Probably not." == tons of speculation based on nothing.