E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > X3M

Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #1
Mikail Ali
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i 2024 M3 Comp

X3M

Will the x3m comp appreciate in value since it will be replaced with the x3 m50?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Doubt it.
      Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #3
MJBO
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
M50 replaces the M40i, not the M.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
M50 replaces the M40i, not the M.
There won't be a replacement X3M, so the M50 is the highest tier of the X3 now (albeit not a replacement for the X3M, I think that's why he's asking the question).
      Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.95]
After a model change it takes one to two years before the M variant is marketed.
      Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #6
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
After a model change it takes one to two years before the M variant is marketed.
BMW has reportedly cancelled any plans for a next gen X3M.
      Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.95]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
BMW has reportedly cancelled any plans for a next gen X3M.
Hmm. Just read that myself. Kind of a crazy decision.
      Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #8
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Was there any explanation or is this a low volume kind of situation that lead to them axing it? I'd imagine that means the X4M is also taking the axe?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #9
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikail Ali View Post
Will the x3m comp appreciate in value since it will be replaced with the x3 m50?
All ///M cars do is lose value, so no.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #10
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
All ///M cars do is lose value, so no.
Plenty of evidence to the contrary, but nothing made in the past 20 years (yet).
      Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #11
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Hmm. Just read that myself. Kind of a crazy decision.
no, should have never been one in the first place.
BMW is making too many ridiculous M cars/trucks and devaluing what the M division was originally about
Good riddance
Appreciate 2
Mavus2167.00
      Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #12
M4Lou
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24'-x3m40i/23'-m4c /24'-x3mc

Those of us who own and X3M =
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:54 AM   #13
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
Was there any explanation or is this a low volume kind of situation that lead to them axing it? I'd imagine that means the X4M is also taking the axe?
It's most likely a regulation issue, the X4M got poor fuel economy, and the CAFE standard in the US rapidly get completely impossible to meet over the next few years. This doesn't bode well for a next gen M3.

The other likely option is BMW saw how poor the reception of the new X3 was with its ugly styling and cheapninterior, knows it's going to flop hard, and is just cutting investment into it to limit their financial losses
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:02 AM   #14
MJBO
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
The X4 as a model is dead.

https://www.motor1.com/news/725491/b...continued/amp/
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:03 AM   #15
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
To answer the original question, likely not any time soon. The X3M always was second fiddle to the X5M, and typically the people who will be interested in it as a collector will want to use it as a family car, which is too small for really (by experience). Factor in the M40i existing and M50i coming, and it will likely go the route of X5 4.6is and 4.8is, cool cars with some value to those that are into them, but not really any sort of collector value. They'll continue to depreciate but always be worth that little bit more than an average X3.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:21 PM   #16
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
The other likely option is BMW saw how poor the reception of the new X3 was with its ugly styling and cheapninterior, knows it's going to flop hard, and is just cutting investment into it to limit their financial losses
Yeah I'm going to say that's highly, highly, highly unlikely. The X3M and X4M are very niche vehicles and maybe too hardcore for the masses. The M40i scratches the performance itch while serving as a find daily driver for most people and simply made more sense to most buyers looking for a sporty EV. I think they ultimately would have been more successful if BMW implemented something like magneride technology that could have provided a larger ride variance over the X3M settings of firm/firmer/firmest. Coming out of an M2 I could tolerate the ride but it did feel at times like driving an M3 on stilts and people looking at luxury SUV's often expect the option of a comfortable ride.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold6243.00
      Today, 02:22 PM   #17
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm going to say that's highly, highly, highly unlikely.

The X3M and X4M are very niche vehicles and maybe too hardcore for the masses. The M40i scratches the performance itch while serving as a find daily driver for most people and simply made more sense to most buyers looking for a sporty EV. I think they ultimately would have been more successful if BMW implemented something like magneride technology that could have provided a larger ride variance over the X3M settings of firm/firmer/firmest. Coming out of an M2 I could tolerate the ride but it did feel at times like driving an M3 on stilts and people looking at luxury SUV's often expect the option of a comfortable ride.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:25 PM   #18
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Yeah I'm going to say that's highly, highly, highly unlikely. The X3M and X4M are very niche vehicles and maybe too hardcore for the masses. The M40i scratches the performance itch while serving as a find daily driver for most people and simply made more sense to most buyers looking for a sporty EV. I think they ultimately would have been more successful if BMW implemented something like magneride technology that could have provided a larger ride variance over the X3M settings of firm/firmer/firmest. Coming out of an M2 I could tolerate the ride but it did feel at times like driving an M3 on stilts and people looking at luxury SUV's often expect the option of a comfortable ride.
I overall agree, the compromised ride didn't help. The M40i REALLY didn't help, lol. It hits really close to the X3M in performance, without the compromised ride, and better fuel economy. And at a substantial price advantage vs the X3M too.

BMW really should have made the "M Performance" cars the Ms, and the Ms would be "M Competition". Probably could have charged a little more this way lol.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:35 PM   #19
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I overall agree, the compromised ride didn't help. The M40i REALLY didn't help, lol. It hits really close to the X3M in performance, without the compromised ride, and better fuel economy. And at a substantial price advantage vs the X3M too.

BMW really should have made the "M Performance" cars the Ms, and the Ms would be "M Competition". Probably could have charged a little more this way lol.
They probably looked at the performance they are getting out of this new M50 with the 48V mild-hybrid power and assumed few people were going to spend more money for a straight up M version that's not going to be a lot quicker on the street but ride a hell of a lot worse.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:57 PM   #20
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
They probably looked at the performance they are getting out of this new M50 with the 48V mild-hybrid power and assumed few people were going to spend more money for a straight up M version that's not going to be a lot quicker on the street but ride a hell of a lot worse.
There was already a fairly small delta between the M Performance and full M models.

Honestly, I think it comes down more to position in the market. People spending the nearly $100k for a well equipped X3MC are probably pretty damn likely to pay slightly more for an X5 M60i with more space, nicer materials, all that.

Add in the extra costs of a next gen model that likely would have added hybrid power, they likely just pushed out of the pricing window for the segment.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:22 PM   #21
NervoS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05,E39,E46,R53

Yes, but not everybody needs or wants more space or bigger vehicles. I'd say X3MC and X5 M60i are two different market niches for different audiences.
For example, I am shopping for a small but still luxury-ish perform-ish SUV and one of th option was X3MC/X4MC. Never even looked at X5, since it is too big for me and we already have one in the household.
Appreciate 0