E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > VANOS Solenoid Question

Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #1
Isohlated
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 BMW 335i

VANOS Solenoid Question

I have a 2011 E93 335i which has the N55 engine. Are my VANOS solenoids okay? Why would they be extremely crusty like this? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #2
chris55552
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i 2012 E92 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isohlated View Post
I have a 2011 E93 335i which has the N55 engine. Are my VANOS solenoids okay? Why would they be extremely crusty like this? Thanks!
They could very easily be okay, or need to be cleaned or replaced. Is your car running smooth? Ive pulled my vanos solenoids out on my e90 with N52 and my F25 X3 with the N55 and its a very easy process. If you just want to visually check, depress those clips and use a socket and they pull right out. I flushed mine with MAF cleaner, neither were real dirty to start but I already had them out so why not. Dont forget your check valves which should be on the side of the engine block and come out with with a torx. I think mine were dirtier than the solenoids and I flushed them with cleaner as well. Their generally a little more difficult to reach but if I can do it trust me when I say anyone can. Some people use a battery and some leads and connect them to the solenoid positive and negative terminals and activate them so that they move and irragation is more effective but be careful you can short them out. Some people just pull them out and replace them and they are done with it. Make sure your engine is cooled down a bit because they come out good and hot, and when putting your check valves back in make sure they are good and secure all the way in or you will lose your oil out of that little hole and lose it fast. I let mine idle and didnt realize it wasnt all the way in and lost about 70 percent of my engine oil pretty quickly. Many youtube videos on this very topic, if your aware you have vanos solenoids im confident your capable of servicing them. Im truly a rookie with the wrench, and not mechanicaly inclined at all but managed to learn from watching others do it. On a side note when I used to take my bmw's in to an local mechanic, just about evertime I was in there I over heard the mechanics saying yep bad vanos solenoiids so its apparantly a common thing. I get road grime coated on my engine like yours in the pics, just the nature of nasty roads and I bet its worse depending on where you live and road conditions, I wouldnt assume for one second they are in bad shape due to the exterior.

Last edited by chris55552; Yesterday at 09:16 PM.. Reason: forgot to add
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #3
SyCoREAPER
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Unless you're having issues, do not touch them. People have gone 100K+ without ever cleaning them, go to clean them and they are prestine. That is serious corrosion going on, likely a coolant leak. Did your rad ever have a hole or leak?

If you take them out yourself, if you can evenget them out, you'll likely strip the bolt head or break it off. The surface will need to be sanded making sure no rust goes into the openings and you'll need new valves, I can't see a mechanic being willing to sand them down if there's even any metal left and reinstall them.

No issue, no touchy.
Appreciate 0