E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Transmission now slipping with code P17E8

09-24-2024, 09:47 PM   #1
juangarc213
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Transmission now slipping with code P17E8

My transmission cooler had started leaking so I replaced it and checked transmission fluid and filled it up. Now my transmission is slipping when going from 3rd-4th when stepping on it. When driving normal the transmission seems to be okay but when I try to accelerate fast the transmission almost doesn’t want to slip and I now got a code “ Ratio Monitoring shift 3-4 “ and code P17E8 this is my first issue with the transmission. And have no clue what this could be for any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juangarc213 View Post
My transmission cooler had started leaking so I replaced it and checked transmission fluid and filled it up. Now my transmission is slipping when going from 3rd-4th when stepping on it. When driving normal the transmission seems to be okay but when I try to accelerate fast the transmission almost doesn’t want to slip and I now got a code “ Ratio Monitoring shift 3-4 “ and code P17E8 this is my first issue with the transmission. And have no clue what this could be for any ideas?
What process did you use to check the transmission fluid was properly filled?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

How many miles on the trans? Did you add fluid? What fluid did you add? Have the bridge adapter and tube seals ever been done?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #4
juangarc213
Registered
Rep

Just confused because, like I had mentioned transmission was strong with no issues before this happened and now it’s having some issues..

Debating on just draining it all and doing a filter and fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #5
juangarc213
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
What process did you use to check the transmission fluid was properly filled?
I had put the car on all 4 jack stands and made it as level as possible ( car off ) and opened fill plug and nothing was leaking out so I knew it was a little low so I just pumped in fluid until it started coming out of the hole ( this was all before I even drove the car ) than I put car down and took it for a drive and noticed the slip and checked fluid again and was still at full level. And just has been doing this since, I haven’t driven the car a lot but I took it to work yesterday and drove normal until I stepped on it and than threw code.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #6
juangarc213
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
How many miles on the trans? Did you add fluid? What fluid did you add? Have the bridge adapter and tube seals ever been done?
Trans has 105,000 miles. Same as car I did add fluid, and I put in Valvoline Max Life ATF as it came up as a replacement for ZF transmissions & no known previous service on transmission I got car at 60k miles but don’t have any service records prior to that.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #7
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
I had put the car on all 4 jack stands and made it as level as possible ( car off ) and opened fill plug and nothing was leaking out so I knew it was a little low so I just pumped in fluid until it started coming out of the hole ( this was all before I even drove the car ) than I put car down and took it for a drive and noticed the slip and checked fluid again and was still at full level. And just has been doing this since, I haven’t driven the car a lot but I took it to work yesterday and drove normal until I stepped on it and than threw code.
I think that oil level check has to be done with engine running (P or N), and I recently read in another thread that A/C has to be ON too.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #8
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2011

Assuming you have the ZF6 trans, the car has to be turned on, shifted throughout all of the gears, and then topped off when the fluid is above 40c degrees. AC should be OFF. You really need to use ZF fluid and ZF fluid ONLY. Any other fluid can cause the trans to act up. Check out this step-by-step instruction from ZF.50145 EN.pdf If you don't have ZF trans, then forget about everything I said.
      Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #9
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Need way more car info to advise any suggestions. Check your VIN and come back to us with detail part/model info. REALOEM is always a good way to start.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #10
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Guy View Post
Assuming you have the ZF6 trans, the car has to be turned on, shifted throughout all of the gears, and then topped off when the fluid is above 40c degrees. AC should be OFF. You really need to use ZF fluid and ZF fluid ONLY. Any other fluid can cause the trans to act up. Check out this step-by-step instruction from ZF.Attachment 3561662 If you don't have ZF trans, then forget about everything I said.
Damn!
I serviced my 330i’s 6hp19 a year ago but in my country I only found Liqui Moly 1800, the valvoline one and one called Eurol from the netherlands. I went with Liqui Moly but my tranny has been acting wrong since some months ago, like if the pressures inside the valve body aren’t as it should be.

Could be the oil?

I was thinking on buying the Sonnax Zip Kit.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:37 AM   #11
juangarc213
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Guy View Post
Assuming you have the ZF6 trans, the car has to be turned on, shifted throughout all of the gears, and then topped off when the fluid is above 40c degrees. AC should be OFF. You really need to use ZF fluid and ZF fluid ONLY. Any other fluid can cause the trans to act up. Check out this step-by-step instruction from ZF.Attachment 3561662 If you don't have ZF trans, then forget about everything I said.
I do have ZF trans, so I will definitely do this ! Thank you
Appreciate 1
      Today, 12:55 AM   #12
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
I do have ZF trans, so I will definitely do this ! Thank you
There are a few variations of ZF transmissions. Make sure you match yours.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:51 AM   #13
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Yes you need to fill the trans with some fluid initially until it starts to spill out with the car off.

Then start the car and you will hear a weird noise from the trans. Because it is too low. You add more fluid while the engine is running and at a specific temp using a temp gun and fill it then until it begins to spill out once more and you're golden.

Also don't cheap out and just get genuine fluid to mix in the system.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 01:54 AM   #14
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando_e90 View Post
Damn!
I serviced my 330i’s 6hp19 a year ago but in my country I only found Liqui Moly 1800, the valvoline one and one called Eurol from the netherlands. I went with Liqui Moly but my tranny has been acting wrong since some months ago, like if the pressures inside the valve body aren’t as it should be.

Could be the oil?

I was thinking on buying the Sonnax Zip Kit.
One of the commandments in the BMW bible for your trans is "one shall not mix other fluids other than genuine within the transmission"
Appreciate 1
      Today, 05:17 PM   #15
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims328i View Post
One of the commandments in the BMW bible for your trans is "one shall not mix other fluids other than genuine within the transmission"
That means I already screwed up.

Would doing another oil change with Liqui moly 1800 be a good idea? So is greater the porcentaje of the same fluid inside the transmission.

I don't ese easy importing ZF lifeguard. I import almost all parts from the US (FCP euro, Ecs Tuning. etc) but because of regulations oil is forbidden.
Appreciate 0