E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Removing catalytic converters?

09-26-2024, 11:17 AM   #1
E90 Saffa
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 320i

Removing catalytic converters?

Good day.

Do mini “cats/cat foolers” actually work? I’ve had the cats removed, but sometimes when I use cruise control on the highway my engine light will come on, with the codes
-“Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1”
-“Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2”

This does not occur frequently, always on highways.
It also only happens under load, eg. on cruise control with speeds above 100km/h or on steep uphills where I have to put my foot down in order to maintain speed.

Just the fourth time it has happened since the cats are out. The car doesn’t go into limp mode and I don’t notice anything different, just the half engine light that comes on. The only thing I’ve noticed is that my car is a bit heavier on fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2024, 11:32 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Are you not running a tune?

There's really no benefit to removing cats if you aren't running a tune that takes the downpipes/cat delete into account.

You should get MHD and run a tune designed for no cats--the car will be more efficient, boost more, and keep your CEL off.

EDIT: Nevermind just saw you're not n54/n55. A tune is still probably your best bet but your options are different than the turbo 6s.
Appreciate 0