E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Bad CAS module? Sometimes no start, lights stay on after turn off

09-25-2024, 10:27 PM   #1
driftergabe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

E90 Bad CAS module? Sometimes no start, lights stay on after turn off

Recently my 2008 BMW 328i coupe started having an issue where it would not start when pressing the press to start button, all dash lights would illuminate however. I have to take the fob out and try it again sometimes twice for it to start. Once started, I’m good, no issues. When I turn off my car, and take the fob out, the tail lights flash and headlights flash like crazy, and the hazard light on the dash would flash. Most of the time the taillights (all 3) will stay on, even after locking the car. The only way to fix is to start the car 1-2 times until they shut off when I take the fob out, however everytime I put the fob in the taillights shut off immediately.

- Also, when I insert the key fob or take out the key fob, lots of fast clicking comes with the fuse box.
- Also, my car has been leaking water into the passenger side footwell every time it’s ran through a car wash, it’s been going under the cowl through the air ducts. I had to change my blower motor recently to get the AC to work again, it got rusty and died over time. I’m wondering if this water leaking in could possibly have something to do with this current issue, since the fuse box is there.

I brought the car to a BMW mechanic and they said the CAS module has failed and needs replacing. But I feel like if it’s failed then why does the car still start everyday? Even though it takes a couple tries. (also I had my starter replaced less than a year ago.)

I’m wondering if maybe it’s bad fuse or maybe corroded relay in the fuse box causing these electrical issues. Thoughts? They quoted me 1100$ for the CAS module replacement and said they can’t guarantee it’ll fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2024, 10:48 PM   #2
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
Do you have a scanner that can read bmw fault codes? Thats the first step, when random stuff happens nobody could know without seeing what errors it's throwing.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2024, 10:53 PM   #3
driftergabe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

They told me it said CAS module failure and faults for terminal 15
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:46 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

you need to fix your water leak
ie remove, check and put back the windscreen cowl and other parts so that water didn't get to blower
because the main fuse box and fuse box electronics are near this blower