E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Priming engine before starting after long storage

09-25-2024, 06:26 PM   #1
newBMWownr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Priming engine before starting after long storage

I have a 2008 E90/N54, which I don't drive much. It's been sitting for a while (approximately 1 year) on a battery maintainer in my garage. I want to get it back in service.

I see a lot of conflicting posts on whether to prime the engine or not after siting for a while. By priming I mean turning the engine over without spark and/or fuel to pump oil up into the engine from the pan. I've read a priming procedure posted on E90 Post, which involves removing the connectors from the injectors, running the starter for 10s, allowing the starter to cool for 20s and to repeat 3x. Frankly, pulling the injector connectors on a 18 year old car doesn't sound like the best idea.

I also see posts that say pull the fuses for the DME, Fuel Pump, and/or injectors. Looking at the fuse box diagram I see several fuses for the ECU (assume that's the DME) and Fuse F39 which covers the Fuel Injectors, Ignition Coils, and Ignition Coil Interference Suppression Capacitor, and Fuse F70 for the Fuel Pump (EKPS). It seems like if I pulled F39 and F70 I would eliminate fuel and spark and accomplish the same as pulling the injector connectors and also eliminate any ignition. Is that correct?

Finally, maybe this is a mountain-molehill thing. Should I just forget priming and start the car up? Car ran fine when I parked it and I haven't done any maintenance that would cause loss of oil from the engine (i.e. no replacement OFHG, no bearing ledge replacement, no main/rod bearings) Just want to see what others smarter than me think on this without starting a prime/no prime battle.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2024, 08:02 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

IMO you’re overthinking this. Oil pressure will still come faster just starting it up like normal versus only spinning it at starter speed. Just fire it up and go.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2024, 08:30 PM   #3
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

youre fine pulling the injector wires and is the correct way to prime your car (which i would do). a little silicone spray and a long pick make it ez
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #4
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

LPFP fuse is well enough.

car wont be able to high idle .

Ive primed N54/N55 after turbo and OFHG replacement, no issue.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Even after a year, you're still going to have oil in all the galleys and passages in the engine. I think you are overthinking things.....just fire it up.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:29 PM   #6
suspect
.******.
Rep
Drives: car

If it’s a manual you could just press start and let off the clutch straight away and let the engine crank but not enough time to start. You only just need to get the oil to top of engine and doing this a few times should be enough.
Appreciate 0