E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > BMW Professional to CIC iDrive retrofit

Today, 05:05 AM   #1
nabeel.m07
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

BMW Professional to CIC iDrive retrofit

Hi guys, I'm looking to do a CIC iDrive retrofit to my e92 2010 lci, which came with the BMW professional radio. To my understanding all I need is the iDrive unit, screen, controller, new dash, trim piece for the centre console, combox and all corresponding wiring for the combox and iDrive system, and the gps in the shark fin antenna (correct me if I'm wrong). Will this work as plug and play using all of the original BMW harnesses from the donor car that I plan to pull all of the components from? I do also understand that some coding is necessary but that's a separate issue. The donor car is a lci e90 335i. Kind regards, Nabeel
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:38 AM   #2
kolopn
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N52B25

Hi,

So basically you are correct apart from shark fin. I did CIC retrofit to my 2006 non iDrive, and I just basically used universal gps antenna with fakra connection and put that under cover where there could be dash speaker. So: Dash, A/C trim, CIC trim, screen, CIC unit, LVDS screen to CIC wire, LVDS CIC to USB Socket in glovebox wire, USB Socket for glovebox, wiring for screen and some additional mounting screws. This will be working CIC. If you want also to have phone and BT media for combox you will need microphone for FZD, combox mounting frame, combox wiring (basically 2 most wires, 3 microphone ones, ground and power supply), BT antenna under the dashboard (driver side), faker connection between bt antenna and combox, USB/AUX socket for armrest and USB/AUX to combox lvds wire.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:56 AM   #3
nabeel.m07
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

Hi, thanks for the reply! I currently have Bluetooth calling available as standard with the BMW professional radio and combox currently in the car. Should I just keep this combox then and will it also now be able to work with Bluetooth audio as well as calling with the new cic once that is installed? I’m also slightly confused with the navigation? I’ve seen that there’s meant to be a module for nav in the booth near the combox (I think) and that a wire runs from the cic module to the boot and connects to that nav module? (This is apparently how it is as standard) Is this correct and if so I should be pulling that nav module too? Not entirely up to speed on the nav system and combox stuff yet, sorry. I do have usb and aux currently in my glovebox as well if that helps. Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:54 PM   #4
kolopn
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N52B25

In topic of USB you have to have two separate ones. One in the glovebox which is USB only (And it only used for Navi update, or music update), second one is used only for media and it's in armrest together with AUX. USB from glovebox is connected to CIC directly, and USB in the armrest is connected to Combox. So you have to have both.

To have navi working you really do not need anything in the trunk. Combox or mulf are only modules for media. To be honest I don't think that you have combox right now. Probably you have MULF and TCU. Mulf is module for USB socket and aux in the armrest, and also for phone BT (only for calling), and TCU is as far as I remember for SOS function.

Combox is module which is basically connection of MULF and TCU together, but also have new functions like music via BT.

You can easily check which module you have, by checking your FA equipment codes. As I remember 6NF is code for combox.
Appreciate 0