E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Starting E93 Engine and putting into drive on a lift?

Today, 07:17 AM   #1
Wodger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Starting E93 Engine and putting into drive on a lift?

Good Afternoon All,

This may seem a dumb question, but can i start my E93 and put into drive, on a lift with the wheels off the floor?

I only ask as i was reading elsewhere on the forum about the rollover protection deploying if the car senses the car has left the ground, tips etc..
Not sure how it would detect wheels leaving the floor exactly, but i am concerned i will trigger the rollover protection.

I recently changed my diff, giubo and centre support and now have a light rubbing while coasting at low speed. Could be brakes, heat shields etc..

When i lift the rear and spin the wheels by hand, all seems well.
Hoping that by getting a little more speed in the drivetrain and being able to move around freely under the car will help me identify it, without having to drop the exhaust and re-fit the shields etc, in a vain attempt at fixing it.

Thanks for the support!

Wodge
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:42 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I have a lift and I've run the drivetrain many times with the car off the ground. But I never tried with my E46 cabrio. I think the cars accelerometers would have to detect a rapid X-axis acceleration to trigger the rollover hoops to deploy. But I'd find the fuse and pull it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:17 AM   #3
Wodger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Thank you for the reply!
This is a shout, ill have a dig and see what i can find on the fuse.

I believe you are right, as there is no hardware around the wheels/suspension that would detect they are off the ground.. Which i guess leaves wheel speed sensors and accelerometers.

Last thing i need is that to system to activate and deploy.. I understand the physical reset, but no idea what it would do with codes and other things it would trigger electronically
Appreciate 0