E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d loud ticking - vacuum pump? I'm stumped

Today, 10:28 AM   #23
maryjane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

Had a friend do the EXACT same thing. So now you have decisions to make. What all you are going to refresh after pulling head? FYI, you don't need to pull motor to swap out that piston.
Appreciate 1
repete9.00
      Today, 06:36 PM   #24
repete
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i E90

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
Had a friend do the EXACT same thing. So now you have decisions to make. What all you are going to refresh after pulling head? FYI, you don't need to pull motor to swap out that piston.
Oops, yeah quite an expensive mistake to make!

I dropped the subframe and was able to pop the oilpan off, so very glad I didn’t have to pull the motor.

I ordered a piston from a 93k mile motor, likely going to check piston ring specs and most likely reuse the piston rings if within spec; probably not going to replace the rod bearings since they look brand new, they’re not even worn through the coating at all and no marring/scratches. All other rods have no play as well.

Otherwise, gonna clean up the new used head and check cam tolerances, clean the lifters, and of course new head gasket/bolts/oil pan gasket, the works. Cylinder wall is perfectly clean (I got so lucky!) so no need to hone or anything like that.

Maryjane, what all did your friend end up replacing, any issues/regrets down the line with any of that?
Appreciate 0