E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > IOS 18 and BMW CIC Idrive not working

09-29-2024, 10:39 AM   #1
Ashrock07
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW e92 325i

Exclamation IOS 18 and BMW CIC Idrive not working

Hey Y'all!

So, I just got a 2013 BMW 325i with the CIC idrive version and paired it with my phone. The music information pulls up fine for the most part but for some reason my phonebook just won't sync. I tried repairing my phone multiple times. The weird part is that it used to work fine when I was on ios 17 but after updating something went wrong. I know this is the case because I even tried other people's phones running ios 17 still, which synced the contacts just fine but just my phone won't work because of the update. What's interesting is that sometimes when I get a call, the name and their profile picture displays on the car, but even that is rare as most of the time it's just a number on screen and I don't know who's calling. It's really been annoying because I have to pick up my phone to call people and while driving stickshift, it really isn't that elegant let alone not safe lol. Is there any way to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:44 PM   #2
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Apple is different - think different. I think it was one of their advertisement slogans some time ago.

You can try delete the phone from the car and add it again - should fix it.
If not put back the iOS 17 is the quickest fix.
You can also hope the future updates fix the issue this update caused. Since i'd think many other users face the same issue and it takes time for them to contact Apple for them to reverse this specific bluetooth change.
You can also complain in the apple forums or write directly to the Tim Cook - Ey mate, u wot mate, ruined my perfectly working phone? again??
CIC don't get any software updates to add the new protocol Apple decided to use for some reason to make their products even less compatible with rest of the world?
Clearly you broke this yourself by doing the update.

I never update my phone software - everything works.

Two times when i did update the software it became corrupt and i lost all the data because of some multi users bug and since i was in a country that got update 1st we were guinea pigs. 2nd time phone became totally corrupt after i reset it (to add company profile) and i had to throw the phone away = wasted 450€

Also with Lenovo laptop the bios update corrupt the chip = not working laptop. So another e-waste produced since fix was almost half of the price of laptop.

I hate updates. Ruin working piece of equipment and also the stupid UI changes that make the experience worse by removing features and moving them to the flagship device. I have had too many bad experiences and i'm sick of them.

With cars it's different story. General motors corrupt the center console infotainment system with update and users with no warranty had to pay themselves for fix. More reasons to love the E90 platform.

I guess you learned it too now.

And also there is no security benefits by being up to date because new holes are discovered daily and if someone specifically targets you - they get what they want. But that's highly unlikely unless you possess some very highly guarded information. And if you do you would use the old Nokia era phones that can't be hacked. If not you have nothing to worry about. Just one dust particle in the dustbin.

Hijack cell signal.
Fake website.
Social engineering usually works best.
There are also USB cables that have the ransomware preinstalled.
You'll be surprised how deep this rabbit hole goes.

I've had 100% to 0% attacks from the companies providing support for the products they produce compared to some imaginary virtual NPC enemies they try to scare me with.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; Today at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0