E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clunk sound after brake change

09-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
maajka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Clunk sound after brake change

I recently changed all 4 rotors and pads on my 11 335i with Zimmerman rotors and akebono pads. Install went good and it was not my first time doing brake work but it was for this car.

After it was all done I went for a ride to bed the brakes and everything was good, no noises or shaking.

The following day I noticed a clunking sound when braking a lil harder at lower speeds. If I came to a stop slowly u don't hear it but if it's more aggressive stops then I would hear it in the drivers use tire as well as feel it under my feet.
Braking from 60mph to 20mph does not make the sound. There is also a sort of huming noise while driving.

I have searched but did not find much...people report hearing this over bumps but mine is only when brakes are applied... No shake in steering wheel

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 330i M Sport

Garage List
Did you apply any anti-seize paste on the backs of the new brake pads and on the various applicable areas on the callipers, pins etc? Sometimes there is just enough play between the calliper and the brake pads that they move enough to create a nasty knock sound when braking, and typically if you have braked while reversing, and then brake when driving forward as normal you will hear this. And it's only at lower speeds that you would hear this. Just a thought.

Ex: BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Take off wheels and double check that you everything is still tightened. Could be lose bolt on the bracket.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
maajka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Took the driver side brakes apart again and made sure everything that was supposed to be lubricated was and all bolts are tight. One thing I noticed is the bottom slide pin being 2 piece? And the part that is close to the threading slides back and forth....about 1/8 of an inch or so....I didn't notice this before or on the passenger side

Wondering if this could be causing the noise and if anyone else noticed this

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Which number on the diagram?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Did you apply any anti-seize paste on the backs of the new brake pads and on the various applicable areas on the callipers, pins etc? Sometimes there is just enough play between the calliper and the brake pads that they move enough to create a nasty knock sound when braking, and typically if you have braked while reversing, and then brake when driving forward as normal you will hear this. And it's only at lower speeds that you would hear this. Just a thought.
This is your issue. It is very common with the Akebono pads. There is too much play between the caliper and the pad. Every time you brake the pad shifts in the caliper making a clunking sound. It won't do it every time, only when you've driven enough for the pads to loosen up a little.

I thoughts Akebono had fixed this, but I guess not. When did you buy your pads?

Someone mentioned using the orange brake quiet crap. I guess it hardens to a rubber-like consistency and will reduce the noise from the pads. I'm don't believe this to be a long-term solution however.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 2
feuer4282.50
      09-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
maajka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bought the whole set pad and rotors 2 weeks ago....hmm I even researched a bit to get a decent set but it didn't say anything about akebono pads not fitting right....maybe ill just have to go with oem pads
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
This is your issue. It is very common with the Akebono pads. There is too much play between the caliper and the pad. Every time you brake the pad shifts in the caliper making a clunking sound. It won't do it every time, only when you've driven enough for the pads to loosen up a little.

I thoughts Akebono had fixed this, but I guess not. When did you buy your pads?

Someone mentioned using the orange brake quiet crap. I guess it hardens to a rubber-like consistency and will reduce the noise from the pads. I'm don't believe this to be a long-term solution however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maajka View Post
Bought the whole set pad and rotors 2 weeks ago....hmm I even researched a bit to get a decent set but it didn't say anything about akebono pads not fitting right....maybe ill just have to go with oem pads
Yes, Akebono pads are most likely the culprit as backing plate is slightly smaller that it need to be allowing the pad to shift constantly and causing clunks.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I emailed Akebono last night and they recognized the issue and are sending me a set of pads in which this has been corrected. So it looks like they have updated the design.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
TigerDave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d & 2010 328i Coupe

I am SO glad I found this thread (and this one too) because I installed a front set of Akebono EUR918A pads 5,000 miles ago on my 2010 328i Coupe and was also experiencing a loud "clunk" noise every time I braked (just in the past month or so).

So this past weekend I swapped them out with Centric brand pads and the clunk is now totally gone!

So thrilled about this!

Thanks all for pointing this out. And yes, I have been in contact with Akebono about the problem. I just let them know just moments ago that replacing them with the Centric pads fixed the issue. Awaiting their response...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

I have the same issue with my Meyle pads.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
AZEgg3
335 Newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i XDrive M-Sport

I have the Hawk 5.0 pads and have something similar, anyone else have this with the Hark pads?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:58 AM   #13
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

Quote:
Took the driver side brakes apart again and made sure everything that was supposed to be lubricated was and all bolts are tight. One thing I noticed is the bottom slide pin being 2 piece? And the part that is close to the threading slides back and forth....about 1/8 of an inch or so....I didn't notice this before or on the passenger side

Wondering if this could be causing the noise and if anyone else noticed this

Thanks
Did you just retighten everything and the sound was gone? Because Im experiencing similar issues to where i hear a clicking sound as you describe, when braking hard at lower speeds, but coming from the right side. I was thinking that it was the retaining clip as I tried tightening every thing and I applied generous amounts of anti seize
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 09:57 AM   #14
maxud
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m235xi

Its the Akebono pads

I apologize for bringing up this old thread, and the only purpose is to give my resolution to similar problem.

Context, I am an avid DIY'er and have done alot of brake jobs, lets say over 100.

For Euro cars, my aftermarket choice is always Zimmerman rotor/Akebono pads.

Recently worked on 2016 BMW 535ix, where I did full car brake job (both front and rear axles).

Job went without a hitch, test drove the car - perfection was the only way to describe it.

Car went back to the owner. About 3-4 days later I get a call - something is knocking badly when brakes are applied.

Test drove the car myself, very pronounced popping noise applying brakes at the left front wheel.

I got it back on the lift, tested every bushing, inspected brakes, could not find a smoking gun. Everything looked perfect.

After 3 hours, I had to give up the hands on. Car had no issues stopping, just extremely weird noises applying brakes.

The number of noises would depend on how fast the car was traveling prior to applying brakes.

I could not simply give up, so did some internet "research" and came across this post. Thank you so much for the info provided here.
It sounded identical to my problem.

My next step was to temporarily swap old pads to the front brakes, and observe the noise.

I swapped out the left front pads, and sure enough, the noise was much reduced and seemed to have moved to right front.

This was something that bugged me from the get go, why I only heard and felt the noise from left front. It appeared that right front was also making noise, but it was less than left front.

I then swapped out the right front pads and the noise went away all together.

Final resolution was to purchase OE bmw brake pads and return the Akebono EUR1505 pads I used for the initial brake job.

The rear of the car has Akebono pads and they are perfectly fine.

There was nothing obvious that jumped at me when comparing Akebono vs OE pads, except for the pad material shape, but clearly something was out just enough on tolerances, where pad was causing this weird noise.

Again, the purpose is to put this out there on the internet and assist next poor soul that runs into this scenario.

I have used Akebono pads for year and this is the first time I ever ran into this issue.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #15
e90ineer
Registered
Serbia
Rep
Drives: E90 318d LCI

Quote:
I recently changed all 4 rotors and pads on my 11 335i with Zimmerman rotors and akebono pads. Install went good and it was not my first time doing brake work but it was for this car.

After it was all done I went for a ride to bed the brakes and everything was good, no noises or shaking.

The following day I noticed a clunking sound when braking a lil harder at lower speeds. If I came to a stop slowly u don't hear it but if it's more aggressive stops then I would hear it in the drivers use tire as well as feel it under my feet.
Braking from 60mph to 20mph does not make the sound. There is also a sort of huming noise while driving.

I have searched but did not find much...people report hearing this over bumps but mine is only when brakes are applied... No shake in steering wheel

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
I had the same clunking sound when changing direction of car travel from reverse to front . It turns out I forgot to tighten properly one bolt on brake caliper. Verify that all bolts on the brake calipers are tighten to spec and use locktite on threads. Hope this helps in your case.
Appreciate 0