E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Chain rattle on startup?

09-30-2024, 07:19 PM   #1
Podunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

Chain rattle on startup?

Hello, usually i'm posting helpful tips as much as possible, but i wanted to get other opinions and verify this is 100% what I think this is.

I noticed when I was replacing the D1S xenons when I had my wife turn on the ignition ( for some reason she thought she had to start the car too) that when it did initial rev up for start there is a noise that sounds an awful lot like a GM quad 4 when the tensioners and guide rails go bad ( loud rattle/chain rubbing noise) I recorded it on my phone to share link and see what you guys think

I have no Vanos Codes, timing on live data is good. i did notice the oil was low when i used the dash check, but filling it did nothing to ease the noise. the car does have 190K on it

have any of you had a similar noise and just needed a tensioner, or replacement oil pump chain cassette? or due to mileage am i looking at this more from a "time to replace chain tensioner and cassettes, cause maintenance"

Here is link to vid:
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2024, 07:26 PM   #2
tsmoove24
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

does it get any quieter after startup? sometimes the turbo wastegates rattle a bit before the car builds vacuum to close them
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2024, 07:30 PM   #3
Podunk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmoove24 View Post
does it get any quieter after startup? sometimes the turbo wastegates rattle a bit before the car builds vacuum to close them
it does quiet a bit, isn't as consistent and sounds more like injector rattle noise after startup. and free rev the noise doesn't seem to return or be as loud.

but i've never had wastegates rattle like a bad chain tensioner before. ( owned DSM' with B16G turbo upgrade and a conquest TSI both internal waste gated)

i am planning on doing an oil pan gasket and getting the VAC baffle installed when i do, so i suppose i could use that maintenance item time to inspect the timing components for failures, or see bits of plastic are in the pan. but was hoping i could get a confirmation from other members, and then kinda go from there and just get the tools and parts ready ahead of time if needed. .

Last edited by Podunk; 09-30-2024 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2024, 04:00 PM   #4
Podunk
Private
Rep

think i figured out another way to test/check, and that is by using a hand vacuum pump like a mityvac and closing the gates before a startup. if noise is gone, wastegates, if it remains then probably looking at a hefty check in parts and tools.

but hey at least then i'll have specialty tools needed for any future maintenances.
Appreciate 0