E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Scratches on shadowline trim small window

Yesterday, 08:04 PM   #1
leocce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i (SOLD)

Scratches on shadowline trim small window

i dont understand how a rock could do an X like this .. makes no sense... this must have been someone walking by and screwing with it...

I already tried some turtle rubbing compound and meguiars scratchx...touching it with my nail and doesnt feel like a deep scratch... Am I gonna have to paint this trim piece to correct it?
Attached Images

Last edited by leocce; Yesterday at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:14 AM   #2
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4CX

Garage List
2024 M4CX  [9.29]
Without assuming any liability if you make the problem worse, I will tell you what I would do in your situation:
  • Purchase a set of polishing bits for use with a drill. I have used these with great results on plastic, painted wheels, raw metal, etc.
  • Purchase compounds of varying abrasiveness (this is the brand I have, and they vary from 32-extreme all the way to 38-finishing polish). In theory, you should be able to start with a more abrasive compound to even out the surface, then keep using finer and finer grit compound until it's a mirror again.
  • Microfiber towels to buff compound out.
The drill polish kit is definitely the ghetto approach, since it's a pure circular motion, which can introduce its own swirls/scratches. If you have the cash, you should probably buy a mini orbital polisher instead (damn, now I have to buy one). If you do go the drill route, the trick is to start the drill spinning very slowly with the compound on the polishing bit, and spread it over the area you are going to polish, then crank up the speed and try to get as close to even coverage as you can.

Caveat emptor: I don't know anything about the composition of the trim. I have the same stuff on my G82, and I've noticed that it scratches very easily. I had my detailer buff out and then ceramic coat the side skirts... that helped quite a bit.

It is possible that the trim material is not black all the way through, but rather just a coating with white underneath. In that case, you should probably take it to a body shop, a pro detailer, or just buy a new piece of trim from BMW IMO...

Good luck, and sorry about your window.
Appreciate 0