E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > How To Check Engine Hours on a BMW

09-23-2024, 07:45 AM   #1
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

How To Check Engine Hours on a BMW

With some other manufacturers, engine hours are displayed right in the dashboard computer. But on BMWs, they are not. Does anyone know how to find out the engine hours on a BMW? Does Bimmerlink have this feature? If so, I can't seem to find it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #3
UPSROD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Maybe on a BMW boat!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:54 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I don't know the answer, or even if there is one. But I'm interested to know what you are going to use the data for.

I would reset the average MPH recorder. Drive a few tanks to get the average MPH you drive, then divide the total miles on the car by the average MPH. That will give you an approximate hours usage metric. It should be close enough.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:03 PM   #5
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

I am thinking of selling one of my cars. The actual engine hours are relatively low, but miles are higher because it is a highway car. So judging the car based on miles is really not representative. The wear on the engine is minimal, coupled with my obsessive maintenance and careful driving style. I am trying to find a way to prove that the engine has seen low hours so prospective buyers are interested.

I would also like to know engine hours for my future purchases.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:22 PM   #6
IanH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '25 M240xi

Since you have no way of proving that the engine is in better shape because of how it was driven. The car is worth what the market will bear, which is probably similar to other cars of the same mileage

I bought a 3 year old car with 70k on the clock once, it was not in any better shape than any other 70k miles car because it was highway driven.
      Today, 07:05 PM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I don't think anyone is going to pay you a premium just because your car did more highway miles. If the condition of your car is good it should speak for itself.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 08:43 PM   #8
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Since you have no way of proving that the engine is in better shape because of how it was driven. The car is worth what the market will bear, which is probably similar to other cars of the same mileage

I bought a 3 year old car with 70k on the clock once, it was not in any better shape than any other 70k miles car because it was highway driven.
70k miles of city driving with stop and go traffic, idling, and frequent engine turn on/off is absolutely night and day from an engine that's warmed up and driving hundreds of miles at a steady RPM. It is this exact type of mileage and maintenance that dictate whether an engine is more likely to fail or not, especially the v8s. Supercars have engine hours specifically for this reason. It's important not only from a sales standpoint but also from purchasing standpoint. In fact, that information is far more important than mileage.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:44 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Highway miles means it rev'd faster, so more piston wear...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:48 PM   #10
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I don't think anyone is going to pay you a premium just because your car did more highway miles. If the condition of your car is good it should speak for itself.
Of course they will. I will. Why in the world would someone pay more for an engine that has high wear vs an engine that has low wear? But you're right, most people out there are so stupid that they'll just buy a car simply because it is shiny and pay no attention to how the car was actually treated, maintained, and real wear. That's exactly why they don't ask about engine hours... they don't even know.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:58 PM   #11
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Highway miles means it rev'd faster, so more piston wear...
Do you really think that highway miles cause more wear and tear than laborious city driving when people are accelerating every 10 seconds? That's where the revs come in, not when you're coasting on the highway at 1800 RPM with an engine that's already nice and warm.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:17 PM   #12
MJBO
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
If what you say is true and “most people out there are so stupid” I highly doubt you’ll find someone to buy your BMW because of low engine hours
Appreciate 1
      Today, 10:01 PM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
70k miles of city driving with stop and go traffic, idling, and frequent engine turn on/off is absolutely night and day from an engine that's warmed up and driving hundreds of miles at a steady RPM. It is this exact type of mileage and maintenance that dictate whether an engine is more likely to fail or not, especially the v8s. Supercars have engine hours specifically for this reason. It's important not only from a sales standpoint but also from purchasing standpoint. In fact, that information is far more important than mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Of course they will. I will. Why in the world would someone pay more for an engine that has high wear vs an engine that has low wear? But you're right, most people out there are so stupid that they'll just buy a car simply because it is shiny and pay no attention to how the car was actually treated, maintained, and real wear. That's exactly why they don't ask about engine hours... they don't even know.
The first two statements are the reality of the used car market. A handful of potential buyers will appreciate the difference between highway miles and city miles, but even then only a fraction of those folks will pay a premium over what the market value’ers say the car is worth based on straight mileage. The people you are targeting make a minuscule and inconsequential segment of the market.

Your statements about highway miles being easier are 100% correct. And at the same time it doesn’t matter to 99.99998% of your potential buyers and it’s a virtual certainty it won’t matter to whoever buys your car.

I would be really interested in what other manufacturers you are aware of that include engine hours in the information provided by the vehicle computer that is visible to the consumer. Personally, with the possible exception of Porsche and/or maybe Land Rover I don’t think anyone does.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Today, 10:29 PM   #14
cozye
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

One good way to document highway miles vs. stop and go is by the service records. If you truly have a highway car, your brake wear is minimal. Brakes on my BMW 340i lasted 140k miles before needing to be replaced for example.

I don’t think there is a way to demonstrate hours. I understand what you are getting at. Ultimately though, the wear and tear on the vehicle will convince the buyer of what you are saying. Anyone who’s had a highway car vs a daily city car will know the difference when driving and inspecting the car. It will drive better and feel newer, coupled with your maintenance records and time you’ve had the car, will convince anyone who’s buying it.

other posters are right though, its just a data point and what will really matter is the condition of the vehicle compared to others on the market. Highway cars will typically show better.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:30 PM   #15
SnowCover
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

I would be equally alarmed if the car really had mostly highway miles. For example, my friend drives her M2 at 90mph on her commute whenever possible. She revs that engine like it's a French horn and brakes like she's trying to create a dust storm(brake dust, that is). Wear and tear at 90mph can't be better than someone who drives it gently at 70mph.
Appreciate 0