E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 hardtop fully locked and wont open(no codes)

Yesterday, 11:19 PM   #1
Chanman1029
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E46 325i/E93 335i/LLY

E93 hardtop fully locked and wont open(no codes)

Hello everyone, I've been a longtime user of e46fanatics and what is no NAM3forum, but recently bought an E93 335i from my neighbor that had a failed HPFP. Quick history of the car: It's a 2008, has 41k miles, and has had a failed HPFP since 2020. The car sat in his garage rather untouched, only driven a few times during those 4 years, and now I own it.

The current issue I am having is that the hardtop will not open. The hardtop seems the be fullly closed and locked, there are no error lights on the dash, and the CTM(Convertible Top Module) has no error codes. When I pull the switch to open the hard top, after about 1 second there is the audible gong, and an icon lights up in the center dash that shows a yellow picture of the hardtop. When this happens, the right hand red light on the switch lights up red for as long as I hold the switch up. It is a solid red light, it does not blink. The mechanism itself makes no sounds, and no movement. Only the audible gong in the cabin.

There is absolutely nothing in the trunk. I replaced the battery when I bought the car, and reinstalled all of the panels, some of them didnt install back perfectly, but it looks normal anyways. I also ensure that the coding of the battery is correct. INPA shows the old battery amh rating is 91. According to another thread, there are only coding options for 90 and 110 Ah for this chassis, but my new battery is a 100. I opted to leave it at the 91 rating, and used tool32 to excute a battery registration job. I'm not sure if battery registration has any affect on the CTM, but I figured it was worth noting.

Are there any sensors I cant test or read values from that can help indentify which part of the system is malfuntioning?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #2
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanman1029 View Post
Hello everyone, I've been a longtime user of e46fanatics and what is no NAM3forum, but recently bought an E93 335i from my neighbor that had a failed HPFP. Quick history of the car: It's a 2008, has 41k miles, and has had a failed HPFP since 2020. The car sat in his garage rather untouched, only driven a few times during those 4 years, and now I own it.

The current issue I am having is that the hardtop will not open. The hardtop seems the be fullly closed and locked, there are no error lights on the dash, and the CTM(Convertible Top Module) has no error codes. When I pull the switch to open the hard top, after about 1 second there is the audible gong, and an icon lights up in the center dash that shows a yellow picture of the hardtop. When this happens, the right hand red light on the switch lights up red for as long as I hold the switch up. It is a solid red light, it does not blink. The mechanism itself makes no sounds, and no movement. Only the audible gong in the cabin.

There is absolutely nothing in the trunk. I replaced the battery when I bought the car, and reinstalled all of the panels, some of them didnt install back perfectly, but it looks normal anyways. I also ensure that the coding of the battery is correct. INPA shows the old battery amh rating is 91. According to another thread, there are only coding options for 90 and 110 Ah for this chassis, but my new battery is a 100. I opted to leave it at the 91 rating, and used tool32 to excute a battery registration job. I'm not sure if battery registration has any affect on the CTM, but I figured it [...]
Is the partition fully down?
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #3
Grease23
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

My first thought was also that the partition in the trunk was not down and locked in position. I mean no insult by suggesting something so obvious...
Appreciate 2
      Today, 12:11 AM   #4
Chanman1029
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E46 325i/E93 335i/LLY

WOW! I honestly had no idea this was even a thing!

In my defense, this is my first convertible hahah, I feel so dumb lmaooo.

But thank you to you two for the quick responses!!

Last edited by Chanman1029; Today at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
      Today, 01:24 AM   #5
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanman1029 View Post
WOW! I honestly had no idea this was even a thing!

In my defense, this is my first convertible hahah, I feel so dumb lmaooo.

But thank you to you too for the quick responses!!
Awesome, good to hear it worked out.
Appreciate 0