E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > How To Check Engine Hours on a BMW

10-05-2024, 07:23 AM   #23
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Wow... There so much Dunning Kruger here it's amazing! Simply amazing...

Still amusement to read, thanks for the belly laughs!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #24
chris3g
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

operating hours data is available in ISTA
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2801.50
      Yesterday, 04:24 AM   #25
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
operating hours data is available in ISTA
Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't think most dealers will disclose this and most private sellers won't have access to ista. But it's good to know. Appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:22 AM   #26
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCover View Post
I would be equally alarmed if the car really had mostly highway miles. For example, my friend drives her M2 at 90mph on her commute whenever possible. She revs that engine like it's a French horn and brakes like she's trying to create a dust storm(brake dust, that is). Wear and tear at 90mph can't be better than someone who drives it gently at 70mph.
Teeny, tiny concern not truly worth worrying about. Exceedingly few people who have highway miles drive the way you describe your friend’s driving.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Today, 11:30 AM   #27
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Many car manufacturers have this data. Virtually all the domestics, including GM, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford and all of their pickup trucks and fleet vehicles have this data available in the dashboard. Many Japanese manufacturers including Hyundai and some European including Volvo also have this data available. Other manufacturers have this data available via OBD2 port. Corvettes have this data, Vipers have this data, and some supercars have this data as well.

Along with engine hour information, idling information is also very useful. 1 hour idling is between 30 to 40 miles of engine wear, according to Ford and Chrysler. It would be great if we had a total engine revolution data, but I've never seen that anywhere.
Well, I must admit I’ve only been driving BMWs since computer information started being displayed on dashboards and “iDrive” type screens, so I’m not familiar with what other manufacturers provide. I do find it quite surprising this information would be readily available, since only about 0.0000012% of owners would care in the least. I’m not saying it’s not important, just that only a minuscule percentage of car owners care or even have a clue why they should care.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Today, 12:04 PM   #28
Jolbex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

Really dont know how one could rely on working hours. During the week i drive 9km to and 9km from my home to office at average speed 20kmh. During weekends i make some 200km pushing it beyond 220kmh constantly. So what can you make out of my working hrs?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:12 PM   #29
David70
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

I normally buy used & while I think this information could be useful, its a really small part of the population that would care & it's not like the potential used buyer has a long line of similar cars sitting next to each other to pick the low hour car over the other one.

Many considerations - year, mileage, exterior color, interior color, other options, condition, maintenance records, Carfax/other potential damage inspection, distance from you & if one car has 50k miles with "X" amount of engine hours and another has 65k miles & "X" amount of engine hours it's pretty far down on the list of priorities for most.

As with the OP, my guess is buyers that do a lot of hwy miles want this information to prove their case a lot more than potential buyers care.

As every car does some percentage of hwy/city miles, if a seller told me his car had 1000 hours on it (or whatever) & said it was really low for the mileage I wouldn't know if he was correct since I can't compare it to other cars or put a value on it, I don't know what I would do with the info.

Last edited by David70; Today at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
IanH34.50
      Today, 12:56 PM   #30
meccha
Private
Rep
Drives: ’23 X7

If I am told a high mileage car is mostly highway miles, I would look at the mpg since factory figure. If it’s higher than average it would ease my mind. Otherwise highway miles at 90 mph wouldn’t make much sense anyway.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:11 PM   #31
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [10.00]
So, ISTA is the only way? No secret BC menus? What about a full-featured OBDII reader?
      Today, 02:01 PM   #32
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I have only seen engine hours or revolutions on my former Corvette. What cars show engine hours other than boats? Maybe this info is in a PIWIS or BimmerCode area. I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:50 PM   #33
IanH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '25 M240xi

Transit vans, and I assume sprinter vans as well show engine hours becuase they often idle for long period of time so you need to know for service interval adjustments.
      Today, 03:32 PM   #34
Belair62
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Titanium /Coral 35is

My 2011 Tahoe shows hours. Must have been a GM thing.
Appreciate 0