E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What did you do to your car today?

Today, 11:04 AM   #25323
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
This weekend I tackled the headlights and fog lights restoration.
I did this once last year spring however headlights did get a slight hint of yellowing that bothered me.

Originally done with Cerakote Headlight Restoration Kit.
I contacted them and explained the slight yellowing, and without any hesitation they send out another kit. They definitely stand true to their warranty.

Cerakote kit doesn't require the use of any tools, so it is all elbow grease when it comes to sanding, and I think this is where the fault lies. This time around I purchased a drill sanding kit from amazon and went to town.

There was some stone pitting so I decided to start with 800 grit > 1000 > 2000 > 3000.
This was all done with a drill and then I did another round of 3000 grit hand sanding as per Cerakote instructions "in straight back and forth motion, not circular".

After that applied the ceramic coating and lights looked beautiful.

BEFORE (yellowed and dirty):

Attachment 3570634 Attachment 3570635

Obligatory sanding pic:

Attachment 3570636

AFTER:

Attachment 3570638 Attachment 3570639

Attachment 3570640 Attachment 3570641

It's not over, things get worse!

As per their instructions it says to wait a minimum of 60 minutes before driving and 24h before exposing to water.
I waited approximately close to 2 hours before needing to drive for about 20 minutes. No rain, no water, clear nice day.

I park and go to look and admire the lights and what do I see on the passenger lens...a huge bug guts splattered dead center.

- Didn't want that fully curing into the ceramic coating and I made a mistake trying to wipe it off. Needless to say that turned to a smearing disaster. Coating still had some tackiness to it so you can imagine the disaster scene.
- I then took some 99% alcohol and just wiped the whole headlight ultimately compromising the entire coating.

Attachment 3570653 Attachment 3570660

Contacted Cerakote this morning explaining what happened and that I was wondering if i could just buy the ceramic coating instead of the whole kit. They are sending me ceramic coating for free asap. Needless to say, amazing customer service.

So, i will be redoing my passenger headlight.
To be safe, this time around not going to drive the car for at least 24h after coating.

Also inspected my trunk wire loom as my left trunk taillight was out.
Well, the photo speaks for itself.

Attachment 3570647

Would anyone know what gauge these wires are and maybe a good place to source them.?

Thank you for reading.
Grounds are 18. Others are 22.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352530.50
      Today, 11:05 AM   #25324
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
This weekend I tackled the headlights and fog lights restoration.
I did this once last year spring however headlights did get a slight hint of yellowing that bothered me.

Originally done with Cerakote Headlight Restoration Kit.
I contacted them and explained the slight yellowing, and without any hesitation they send out another kit. They definitely stand true to their warranty.
I did the Cerakote kit around the same time last year, and right now it looks just like yours. Not bad, but a hint of yellow which really stands I out in a space gray metallic car. How was their warranty replacement? I only have the digital receipt from where I bought it, the box and empty packages were thrown away long ago.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:31 AM   #25325
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I used the Cerakote kit and they didn't look good after six months or so and they sent a new kit. About a month ago, I decided to use the DA polisher with compound, polish and the Cerakote Ceramic Coating that I used on the new paint. The headlights look great and I did wait a day or so to drive, you cannot control those wild bugs or the weather.
Attached Images

Today, 11:37 AM   #25326
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Headlights in! Well worth it. Light output is also much better.
Installed the reinforcement brackets too, repaired the bumper as best as I could - but it will get a new cover, fender well pieces, and underbody tray at some point. No rush though, everything is nice and tight.

Cleaned up the engine bay too - Simple Green works very well on coolant.

Name:  IMG_0094.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  1.54 MB

Name:  IMG_0091.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  620.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  631.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0090.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  791.4 KB
Appreciate 2
Wolf 3352530.50
      Today, 11:39 AM   #25327
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I did the Cerakote kit around the same time last year, and right now it looks just like yours. Not bad, but a hint of yellow which really stands I out in a space gray metallic car. How was their warranty replacement? I only have the digital receipt from where I bought it, the box and empty packages were thrown away long ago.
That should be suffient enough. If you bought through Amazon, you can contact them directly through their seller page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I used the Cerakote kit and they didn't look good after six months or so and they sent a new kit. About a month ago, I decided to use the DA polisher with compound, polish and the Cerakote Ceramic Coating that I used on the new paint. The headlights look great and I did wait a day or so to drive, you cannot control those wild bugs or the weather.
I was under the impression tha the surface should be a bit rough (3000 grit) so coating can adhere properly. I guess headlight ceramic coating is different from paint coating? If i have to re-do this again next year, i'll try your method.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:25 PM   #25328
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
??What the DISA??

Not my car, but found out why my friends 330 was getting misfires in cylinders #3 & #6. One half of the DISA flap was in #3 and the other half was in #6!! Also found the shaft rattling around in the manifold. What a horrible design! fortunately, nothing was ingested, but the plastic was eroded away from bouncing around in there, runs a lot better now too!
Appreciate 1