E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 500ish hp goal - What mods should I do?

Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #1
vmqxdv
Rep
Drives: (will) BMW 335i E92

500ish hp goal - What mods should I do?

As the title said my goal is to do get to or around 500hp and I want it to be as reliable it can be. What mods should I do to make this possible?
I'll need to get a loan to buy the car so I wanted to know everything I need to buy so that I how much should I add to the loan to also get the mods!

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic or a tuner and I have only read/view videos about it, I'm asking as a newbie.

The mods I was thinking about was:
  1. VRSF downpipes [link]
  2. ARM inlets [link]
  3. Port injection [link] (I still need to understand it better, any advice is apprecieted)
  4. Pure Twin-turbo [link] (I need more clarification about this and if there are cheaper option that will not blow up)
  5. Air suspension (I did not choose one yet, advice accepted also if it would be better on coil overs)
  6. VRSF 7.5″ Stepped Race Intercooler [link]
  7. VRSF Chargepipe Upgrade [link]
  8. Brake piston & rotors upgrade (same size as stock, did not choose it yet)
  9. M3 rear end & exhaust (Not original, not find it)
Idk if I should upgrade the injectors if the car came with i12, that's why I did not put them on the list, and I also don't know if the fuel pump also need an upgrade.

If I miss anything or there are better quality item lmk!! Thank you in advance!

P.S: I live in Italy
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #2
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmqxdv View Post
As the title said my goal is to do get to or around 500hp and I want it to be as reliable it can be. What mods should I do to make this possible?
I'll need to get a loan to buy the car so I wanted to know everything I need to buy so that I how much should I add to the loan to also get the mods!

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic or a tuner and I have only read/view videos about it, I'm asking as a newbie.

The mods I was thinking about was:[LIST=1][*]VRSF downpipes [link][*]ARM inlets [link][*]Port injection [link] (I still need to understand it better, any advice is apprecieted)[*]Pure Twin-turbo [link] (I need more clarification about this and if there are cheaper option that will not blow up)[*]Air suspension (I did not choose one yet, advice accepted also if it would be better on coil overs)[*]VRSF 7.5″ Stepped Race Intercooler [...]
Index 12 is the last revision so you wouldnt be able to upgrade them further. If your goal is 500 whp and for it to be reliable, then youll want fbo+ inlets + fuel pump + hybrid turbos.
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv1.50
      Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #3
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmqxdv View Post

The mods I was thinking about was:
  1. VRSF downpipes [link]
  2. ARM inlets [link]
  3. Port injection [link] (I still need to understand it better, any advice is apprecieted)
  4. Pure Twin-turbo [link] (I need more clarification about this and if there are cheaper option that will not blow up)
  5. Air suspension (I did not choose one yet, advice accepted also if it would be better on coil overs)
  6. VRSF 7.5″ Stepped Race Intercooler [link]
  7. VRSF Chargepipe Upgrade [link]
  8. Brake piston & rotors upgrade (same size as stock, did not choose it yet)
  9. M3 rear end & exhaust (Not original, not find it)
Idk if I should upgrade the injectors if the car came with i12, that's why I did not put them on the list, and I also don't know if the fuel pump also need an upgrade.

If I miss anything or there are better quality item lmk!! Thank you in advance!

P.S: I live in Italy
Are you smoking something?

You are taking out a loan to buy a car and modify it pretty heavily and then want it to be reliable at the same time, not only that but doing it on a Banks dime???

#1 335i are not known for their reliability even when fully stock and well taken care of.
#2 the E90 platform is OLD and with as many plastic parts installed on the car many will be failed.
#3 You are assuming you will be getting a perfect specimen of a 335i, most will be far from perfect and likely to require thousands of dollars just to bring the repairs up to proper maintenance standards before starting to modify the car.
#4 you think a bank is going to give you a loan for a car AND the modifications that you are planning to do to their car (because yes its their car until its paid off), which consequently devalues the car, and they will front the costs for that? I really really doubt most if any banks will ever issue you the loan.

Even with the best quality parts once you start pushing the limits on the engines with upgraded Turbos, port injection, and other aftermarket parts there WILL be more issues. You have to realize that even if we give you a price for what the build is now, you will need to have THOUSANDS of dollars in reserves for failures especially if you plan on daily driving this planned car. For example as you push injectors harder (more fuel for longer periods of time) you will need to have $4000 just to do a set of injectors. Another $1500 for the High pressure fuel pump. I assume this is not cash you have readily laying around now since you have to finance an E90.

Anyway, if you can't afford to buy the car, you DEFINITELY can't afford to modify it.
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv1.50
      Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #4
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Unless you can get vrsf downpipes at a big discount, I wouldn't buy those. Consistently poor fitment, reported by many people and observed myself, though I have an n55.
      Today, 01:35 AM   #5
vmqxdv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Are you smoking something?

You are taking out a loan to buy a car and modify it pretty heavily and then want it to be reliable at the same time, not only that but doing it on a Banks dime???
I appreciate the concern you have and you have really. I know is not know as reliable.

I forgot to mention that I also considered the costs to make it ready for mods.

I can afford the car and most of the mods, but I prefer to dilute the costs, and also I don’t have to specify for what I need those money to the bank.

Thank you again for your concerns!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:37 AM   #6
vmqxdv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Unless you can get vrsf downpipes at a big discount, I wouldn't buy those. Consistently poor fitment, reported by many people and observed myself, though I have an n55.
Do you have any other brand suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:38 AM   #7
vmqxdv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowE92 View Post
Index 12 is the last revision so you wouldnt be able to upgrade them further. If your goal is 500 whp and for it to be reliable, then youll want fbo+ inlets + fuel pump + hybrid turbos.
I’ll look into that, thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:21 AM   #8
sparkyte
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 335 XI

Hello,

while searching for the car you can check for some that already have the mods, it will be way cheaper to get a modded car even though it can be thrashed if not taken care of. Also are you sure you want this platform to use? What about the 335D which is a way cheaper platform in EU to mod and maintain. The 335i on the other hand is way more expensive on mods, fuel and maintenance especially here where you have to order stuff from abroad and wait for months. Got mine with some mods started already/downpipes, hybrid turbos, valve cover changed, chargepipe, intercooler 7,5/ for like 7k euro then dropped another 7k on simple maintenance and some mods belts, pulleys, water pump + thermostat, DCIs, index 12 injectors, inlets, outlets, then some additional money because one of the turbos was leaking coolant. It was and engine out job as mine is XDRIVE, then had to change hydraulic steering pump, both engine mounts, gaskets, oil pan especially. I've lost it already with the money i dropped on the car but i wouldn't have bothered if i knew what was ahead when i bought it. The car is amazing when everything is working but when there are problems with it its a nightmare. And that's all with me having the money in my account, if i had to borrow from someone or a bank its a BIG NO NO. Good luck as for the mods to 500hp just go FBO with proper parts:

Downpipes, inlets, outlets, 7.5inch intercooler, DCIs, index 12s/you dont need the port injection/, eventually some hybrid turbos/ 17Ts from CHINA if you are on a budget/, proper charge pipe. Then software on the engine and transmission.

Also, forget about the exterior mods until you finish with all the maintenance of the engine and see that the car will be fine to continue modding outside.
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv1.50
      Today, 05:24 AM   #9
vmqxdv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyte View Post
Hello,

while searching for the car you can check for some that already have the mods, it will be way cheaper to get a modded car even though it can be thrashed if not taken care of. Also are you sure you want this platform to use? What about the 335D which is a way cheaper platform in EU to mod and maintain. The 335i on the other hand is way more expensive on mods, fuel and maintenance especially here where you have to order stuff from abroad and wait for months [...]
I've never considered the diesel variant, I'll need to get more info about it!
Quote:
[...] if i had to borrow from someone or a bank it's a BIG NO NO. [...]
I wanted to get a loan to buy everything at the same time, but now I think is better go slower so that in case of any complication I can adjust them!
Quote:
[...] Good luck as for the mods to 500hp just go FBO with proper parts:

Downpipes, inlets, outlets, 7.5inch intercooler, DCIs, index 12s/you dont need the port injection/, eventually some hybrid turbos/ 17Ts from CHINA if you are on a budget/, proper charge pipe. Then software on the engine and transmission. [...]
Do you have any brands or sites to recommend?
Quote:
[...] Also, forget about the exterior mods until you finish with all the maintenance of the engine and see that the car will be fine to continue modding outside.
Yeah those are just to spice up the build when it will be finished!

Anyway, thank you very much for all this advice!!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:59 AM   #10
sparkyte
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 335 XI

Yeah with simple mods/downpipes, egr delete etc/ you can get the 335d to around 400hp maybe even more, for a lot less money compared to the 335i and also have half of the fuel consumption! I dont know about the regulations in Italy but here everyone is driving straight piped diesels without any issue. : D For sites check ebay, amazon, schmiedmann, fmic . eu. for parts for the n54. I dont know if im allowed to post the sites here but mainly these and some parts you have to order and wait for quite some time. I was even considering exchanging mine for 335d ot 535d mainly due to costs and fuel consumption because 20l+ per 100km 100 octane is not that cheap if you drive it a lot in EU.
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv1.50
      Today, 06:57 AM   #11
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

500bhp, you might get it very close with FBO only and an aggressive tune.

But it wont last.

No need to have a 7.5 fmic, go with a stepped 5'' is more than enough.

No port injection needed either, stock DI is more than enough. If you want the cooling and cleaning benefit, get a generic meth injection kit.

Those car will break no matter what.

You want ''more'' reliability on an N54, go with a small bottom mount single turbo. speedtech is the way to go. (less heat, less o2 sensors, less plastic, less vacuum hose, less turbo, less shitty wastegate, less boost solenoid issues, less plastic piping, less low end torque etc.) more sound , more fun, more reliable. On the long run it might even be cheaper (considering you want to go with pure TTs )
Appreciate 2