E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 500ish hp goal - What mods should I do?

Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #23
vmqxdv
Rep
Drives: (will) BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
they are pricey and B58 issues start to ramp quickly now the warranties start to end.

Specifically the cam ledge/caps cracking that is starting. Persistent misfire, no compression. Broken camshaft. Its pretty wild lately.

While the old N engines are well documented and you can easily plan a contingency fund.
I was also thinking about this!! I much prefer to have an engine that is over documented, knowing all the issues and the weaknesses it have and how to resolve them.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #24
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmqxdv View Post
I was also thinking about this!! I much prefer to have an engine that is over documented, knowing all the issues and the weaknesses it have and how to resolve them.
early version seems to have more issues, but it's the early DME you want (unlocked).

when you start having internal issues, it's where I loose it. I dont say N54 dont have internal issues, but most of their issue are around the engine, not in.
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv1.50
      Today, 03:37 AM   #25
suspect
.******.
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
500bhp, you might get it very close with FBO only and an aggressive tune.

But it wont last.

No need to have a 7.5 fmic, go with a stepped 5'' is more than enough.

No port injection needed either, stock DI is more than enough. If you want the cooling and cleaning benefit, get a generic meth injection kit.

Those car will break no matter what.

You want ''more'' reliability on an N54, go with a small bottom mount single turbo. speedtech is the way to go. (less heat, less o2 sensors, less plastic, less vacuum hose, less turbo, less shitty wastegate, less boost solenoid issues, less plastic piping, less low end torque etc.) more sound , more fun, more reliable. On the long run it might even be cheaper (considering you want to go with pure TTs )
"500bhp, you might get it very close with FBO only and an aggressive tune.

But it wont last."

Do you mean something like MHD V7 ethanol map with stock turbos and inlets? I think thats the most aggressive map?

I thought this engine would handle 500bhp with 17T or 19T with less chance of breaking.
Appreciate 0