E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 500ish hp goal - What mods should I do?

Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #23
vmqxdv
Rep
Drives: (will) BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
they are pricey and B58 issues start to ramp quickly now the warranties start to end.

Specifically the cam ledge/caps cracking that is starting. Persistent misfire, no compression. Broken camshaft. Its pretty wild lately.

While the old N engines are well documented and you can easily plan a contingency fund.
I was also thinking about this!! I much prefer to have an engine that is over documented, knowing all the issues and the weaknesses it have and how to resolve them.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #24
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmqxdv View Post
I was also thinking about this!! I much prefer to have an engine that is over documented, knowing all the issues and the weaknesses it have and how to resolve them.
early version seems to have more issues, but it's the early DME you want (unlocked).

when you start having internal issues, it's where I loose it. I dont say N54 dont have internal issues, but most of their issue are around the engine, not in.
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv1.50
      Today, 03:37 AM   #25
suspect
.******.
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
500bhp, you might get it very close with FBO only and an aggressive tune.

But it wont last.

No need to have a 7.5 fmic, go with a stepped 5'' is more than enough.

No port injection needed either, stock DI is more than enough. If you want the cooling and cleaning benefit, get a generic meth injection kit.

Those car will break no matter what.

You want ''more'' reliability on an N54, go with a small bottom mount single turbo. speedtech is the way to go. (less heat, less o2 sensors, less plastic, less vacuum hose, less turbo, less shitty wastegate, less boost solenoid issues, less plastic piping, less low end torque etc.) more sound , more fun, more reliable. On the long run it might even be cheaper (considering you want to go with pure TTs )
"500bhp, you might get it very close with FBO only and an aggressive tune.

But it wont last."

Do you mean something like MHD V7 ethanol map with stock turbos and inlets? I think thats the most aggressive map?

I thought this engine would handle 500bhp with 17T or 19T with less chance of breaking.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:13 AM   #26
vmqxdv
Rep

Quote:
yeah, bottom mount are harder to see.

if it's very strict in Italy, you can get a lot of fun with a FBO 335.

- rebuilt the OEM turbo and get a bigger cold side , those are hybrid turbos. They will look exactly like OEM

- catted down pipes.

- water meth injection ; black hose, pump hidden in the front crash bar, use windshield washer tank. Virtually invisible setup.

- valves exhaust, you can find oem variant. but theres a lot of after market option.

- 5'' FMIC

- stock intake with a highflow filter

- MHD stage 2. If you want to push more on a budget get a JB4 back end flash with a do your own tuning. There's some flash file for hybrid turbos.

- do all the maintenance required on a N54.

This is more than enough to get 500bhp on pump gas.
I've found this video where they show a e93 reaching over 500hp whit this items:
  1. 17T turbos (link not working)
  2. VRSF Charge pipe
  3. VRSF Down pipes
  4. VRSF 7.5 Intercooler
  5. CSF Radiator
  6. ARM Inlets

What do you think about it? It seems to be all the item I've choose originally, except for turbos, in the video they say that are from china. Are they safe? Also the link they provided don't work so it would a gamble to get a random 17t
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:48 AM   #27
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
"500bhp, you might get it very close with FBO only and an aggressive tune.

But it wont last."

Do you mean something like MHD V7 ethanol map with stock turbos and inlets? I think thats the most aggressive map?

I thought this engine would handle 500bhp with 17T or 19T with less chance of breaking.
more like a custom map on MHD or/ a back end flash with aggressive setting on the JB4.

Based on my experience, playin with fuel bias, boost target and FF/wastegate, didn't bring massive difference at once. But the moment Ive put the meth and increase the boost additive target, the car came a rocket.

I did 440bhp on mine with stock turbos, and I'm pretty sure there was more room, but the clutch didnt follow.

Also had a major turbo lag, nothing bellow 4200rpm.

Didn't look for more room, went single turbo.

And this engine can handle more than 500bhp, I'm around 600bhp right now and might go around 650bhp and stay safe. Some folks pushed 700whp stock internals.

Quote:
I've found this video where they show a e93 reaching over 500hp whit this items:
  1. 17T turbos (link not working)
  2. VRSF Charge pipe
  3. VRSF Down pipes
  4. VRSF 7.5 Intercooler
  5. CSF Radiator
  6. ARM Inlets

What do you think about it? It seems to be all the item I've choose originally, except for turbos, in the video they say that are from china. Are they safe? Also the link they provided don't work so it would a gamble to get a random 17t

be careful swap depot and vehicule virals are parts seller. They will show you all the pros, no cons.

And once again, no need of a massive FMIC, I have a small one and I never get over 85°F with my single turbo, and I'm even lower when I select a meth map.
7.5 need more cutting and fitting, while you probably wont go for crazy power since your area wont allow massive mods.

to said you need a 7.5 on 500bhp, show me logs with iat.

CSF radiator is a good idea on a TT setup. Other pros to go single = less heat, and csf radiator is more or less pertinent.

But you want a oil cooler, OEM or aftermarket if your car is not equipped with already.

search google for ''n54 500hp kit'' there's tons of info on that.

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; Today at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:09 AM   #28
vmqxdv
Rep

Quote:
be careful swap depot and vehicule virals are parts seller. They will show you all the pros, no cons.

And once again, no need of a massive FMIC, I have a small one and I never get over 85°F with my single turbo, and I'm even lower when I select a meth map.
7.5 need more cutting and fitting, while you probably wont go for crazy power since your area wont allow massive mods.

to said you need a 7.5 on 500bhp, show me logs with iat.

CSF radiator is a good idea on a TT setup. Other pros to go single = less heat, and csf radiator is more or less pertinent.

But you want a oil cooler, OEM or aftermarket if your car is not equipped with already.

search google for ''n54 500hp kit'' there's tons of info on that.
Yeah single turbo is tempting me but I've seen is an engine out job and I don't have that type of equipment (yet). I'll try to get better info from unbiased source! Thank you again for the advice!!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:26 AM   #29
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah single turbo is tempting me but I've seen is an engine out job and I don't have that type of equipment (yet). I'll try to get better info from unbiased source! Thank you again for the advice!!
hard part is to remove the old TT, so single or not, this is a engine drop (drop subframe) job.

Single might even be easier to install back than bigger TT.
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv1.50