E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 M47 Engine not heating upto working temp

Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #1
cristasgl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

E91 M47 Engine not heating upto working temp

Hello pistonheads, i have this problem when my engine is not warming up (usually) to working temperature. I had this problem two years ago i changed main stat cause radiator was warm even though engine was not up to temp and problem remained, engine still did not want to warm up, then i changed egr stat, this might seem to fix temp problem. Fast forward to this month when weather got a little colder i noticed engine usually not reaching usual 89C temp. Radiator is cool. It takes a longer time to reach working temperature, but when i have my inside fan blowing heat at lowest setting it does not want to heat up above 70-80 degrees. Outside temp is only 10C degrees and in freezing temps it would be way worse. So i was thinking maybe its egr stat fault, then i installed egr cooling hoses blanks cause egr is programmed out a long time ago, so i thought its already off there is nothing to cool so blank them and i would not have to change egr stat ever again. But its still the same. So my question is did hoses blank help my engine heat up when egr stat is bad and are there any other options of resolving this issue?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:46 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

you need to swap main thermostat again and buy only original part, not oem
      Today, 07:33 AM   #3
phils2
Private
Rep
Drives: 318 D Msport

I have a 2005 M47.
What road speeds are you reaching?
If I do 70mph it gets to 90 degrees within 10 miles.
If i do 55 mph it never goes over 80 degrees
If the rad is still cool, that's good.
My egr was mapped out years ago, so can't remember if it helped increase coolant temp faster.
I actually blanked half of my rad with a rubber sheet, but still it struggles to get to 90 at lower speeds.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 11:50 AM   #4
cristasgl
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you need to swap main thermostat again and buy only original part, not oem
Im thinking of it of last option to do
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:54 AM   #5
cristasgl
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phils2 View Post
I have a 2005 M47.
What road speeds are you reaching?
If I do 70mph it gets to 90 degrees within 10 miles.
If i do 55 mph it never goes over 80 degrees
If the rad is still cool, that's good.
My egr was mapped out years ago, so can't remember if it helped increase coolant temp faster.
I actually blanked half of my rad with a rubber sheet, but still it struggles to get to 90 at lower speeds.
When everything was fine last autumn i could cruise in city speeds about 30 mph and get up to temp within 15-20 minutes, i'm thinking of blanking my radiator fully with cardboard and then see the difference.
Appreciate 0