E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N52b25A Hole in valve cover.

Today, 07:42 AM   #1
TimVer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I E90

N52b25A Hole in valve cover.

Hi, I have a 2006 325i with the magnesium valve cover. I wanted to replace the gasket because of a leak. I was supprised to see a hole in the valve cover when I took it off. There was a black cap in the back of the camshaft. Is the cap supposed to be there?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:19 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You may want to resize the pics, they are way too big!

But there is not supposed to be a cap on the end of either camshaft. Quite the strange discovery. Has anyone ever been in the valvetrain box before you? Looks like you'll need to have the cover repaired or replaced. Magnesium is not a commonly welded metal for most machine/welding shops, but I'd give that a try first. Maybe a good epoxy could fix the hole (slot) without the need to weld it closed.

Or a new valve cover, of course would fix it. Good luck with it
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0