E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N52 ticking

Today, 09:44 AM   #1
barelystoned
car enjoyer
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

N52 ticking

I got the dreaded n52 tick , now i have had this car for about 5 months and it used to only tick when i first started it , or drove short distances and some long, spirited driving would usually fix it and make it go away. I recently did an oil change with some mobil 5w30 and the ticking started to be way louder and now its all the time,hot or cold , long or short driving it ticks all the time. i changed the oil for some euro 0w40 with some liqui moli hydraulic lifter additive and it seemed to gotten a bit quieter but not gone. It still continues to tick all the time.I thought it was a broken lifter but i’m not getting any codes or performance loss. I’m not sure if a broken lifter can be symptomless like that other than noise. any suggestions or ideas appreciated

Head and lifter replacement would cost over 3k which is worth almost as much as the car so that won’t be an option

sorry for the long post
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:41 AM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

The cam ledge they call it, probably has grooves worn in it by the stupid metal seal ring. I think later it was changed to teflon. That may not be the actual problem, maybe vanos too I do not know. Search Youtube for cam ledge problems.
Appreciate 0