E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Electrical malfunctions

10-03-2024, 10:54 PM   #1
barrettroache92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Electrical malfunctions

2009 e92 328i xdrive, To start from the beginning, I had an airbag and seatbelt light and wrongfully diagnosed it to be the seat belt receptacle, the real reason for the lights happens to be the clock spring however the clock spring I don’t think has anything to do with this as it failed months before what I’m about to explain started happening, while replacing the seat belt receptacle on the passenger front seat I had to remove the grey connectors with the wires from the yellow and black connector housing, when I put it back together I had the grey wires wrongfully placed (didn’t know at the time) I quickly realized after plugging it in and the clip nit fully latching, I caught my mistake and got the wire connectors in the right place, checked for any bent pins and put it back together, since doing this my i-drive screen has been completely dead, my seat bolstering adjustment won’t work, I have a sos and sunroof malfunction coming up on my cluster and my key fob won’t lock or unlock the car, also to mention in the midst of all this stuff my alternator failed and killed the battery, I recharged the battery and put a new alternator and the vehicle has been running and driving fine since but those functions haven’t worked since, any advice or ideas would be extremely appreciated.thank you

Last edited by barrettroache92; 10-04-2024 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2024, 10:57 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Welcome to E90 life!

I got nothing.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 01:37 PM   #3
doit659
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

A few ideas to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettroache92 View Post
2009 e92 328i xdrive, To start from the beginning, I had an airbag and seatbelt light and wrongfully diagnosed it to be the seat belt receptacle, the real reason for the lights happens to be the clock spring however the clock spring I don’t think has anything to do with this as it failed months before what I’m about to explain started happening, while replacing the seat belt receptacle on the passenger front seat I had to remove the grey connectors with the wires from the yellow and black connector housing, when I put it back together I had the grey wires wrongfully placed (didn’t know at the time) I quickly realized after plugging it in and the clip nit fully latching, I caught my mistake and got the wire connectors in the right place, checked for any bent pins and put it back together, since doing this my i-drive screen has been completely dead, my seat bolstering adjustment won’t work, I have a sos and sunroof malfunction coming up on my cluster and my key fob won’t lock or unlock the car, also to mention in the midst of all this stuff my alternator failed and killed the battery, I recharged the battery and put a new alternator and the vehicle has been running and driving fine since but those functions haven’t worked since, any advice or ideas would be extremely appreciated.thank you
I have a 2011 E92 RWD Coupe and am running down an electrical issue myself, although not currently as severe as your situation.

1. What were the original BMW fault codes that were being registered on the vehicle?
2. What are the current BMW fault codes remaining on the vehicle?
3. Did you or a different person run through all that original troubleshooting to arrive at the conclusion that the "real reason for the lights was the clock spring...."? And why did you suspect the seat belt in the first place?

The symptoms you are describing suggest to me that you have one of 3 problems that are very common on the electrical systems of these cars after so many years:
- SIMPLE TO TEST AND FIX: A blown fuse in the glove box
- HARD TO PINTPOINT SOMETIMES and REQUIRES MODULE CODING: One of your modules is introducing a fault of some kind; and/or
- DOUBTFUL IN YOUR CASE: You have a short in a wiring harness somewhere on the circuit to which all those car functions share.

As you have already found out, the BMW electrical fault codes are often rather VAGUE and/or sometimes EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to trace a ground fault and sometimes even a faulty module.

The reason is that the K-CAN Bus network ties into so many different modules on the same circuit that a ground fault short-circuit or a faulty module can trigger a code pointing to a good module or bus line and hiding the actual cause of the code. Why this happens I do not know but have now read way to many examples in blog posts to deny it occurs.

Believe it or not, before checking modules or tracing wiring harnesses, I was advised more than once to CHECK FOR BLOWN FUSES IN THE GLOVE BOX.

Since you said you criss-crossed wires in the seat belt module, then fixed the error and THEN you began to have bigger problems, you might have blown a fuse. Rule out this issue with a multimeter and thank the BMW gods if this is the only issue.

IF IT'S NOT A FUSE.....

I am willing to guess when you look at the BWM fault codes, you are probably going to find fault codes for endpoint modules that run through two bigger modules, called the FRM (Footwell Module) and/or the CAS (Car Access System Module), if not actual faults on one of these two modules directly.

I had my FRM module replaced by a dealer who fried it during service to my car and now have CAS K-CAN Bus ground faults that is undoubtedly related to their work. That's my problem to figure out now and is probably a wiring issue that is going to be a PAIN to find.

Believe it or not, the FRM module is a known weak point on e90/92's and gets the EEPROM corrupted SUPER EASILY if the car is NOT in sleep mode, the alternator is not running, and the battery just dies. If the modules are writing data to the FRM module when the electricity is unexpected lost due the battery dead, then the FRM module can get corrupted EEPROM data and bricks.

Instead of recoding the EEPROM on the old module, this is often an extended warranty item and the dealer just replaces it instead of recoding it. That's why the did in my case but then introduced a CAS ground fault during the replacement. (I noticed in the wiring diagram that these modules are actually wired together, so that's where I am beginning my personal troubleshooting. I suspect there is a bad terminal connection or broken wire.)

Both the FRM and CAS module are under the steering column and about a foot away from each other.

Although your FRM module MIGHT be fried, I don't think that is suspect number one because that module controls primarily lighting systems inside and out of the car and door locks, as this article explains. And you are not apparently having any of those symptoms.
https://mca.electricmura.ro/en/blog-...-module-issue/

In your case, the loss of the key fob function points to your CAS module, based on this article outlining CAS fault code symptoms, and other sources I have read.
https://the-ecu-pro.com/blog/article...jIzpcJueX0PXPO

Then, when you fubarred the seat belt wiring, you had a cascade of issues leaning in my opinion point to either the FRM or CAS modules. Or could have occurred when you lost the battery entirely at one point. Losing the battery while the car is NOT entirely dormant is a classic cause for the FRM to corrupt.

I admit I am an amateur at BMW wiring and am learning myself. I am writing since no one else seemed to offer you even a beginning idea to troubleshoot.

I know this is long winded, but I would say in short:
- Check your fuses
- List out the BWM fault codes and begin to see if any of them begin to show a common pattern of running through either the FRM or CAS module.

I would be curious to know what eventually fixes your issue.

Robert

Last edited by doit659; Today at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Misspelled "Coupe" and "weak"
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:11 PM   #4
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettroache92 View Post
With all due respect, and I'm really trying not to be a dick, but a 232 word post that is a single sentence is really not conducive to generating responses.

As best as I can figure, you may have shorted something out. Or not. I really cannot understand what you did since your post is nearly incomprehensible.

Please do try writing this again and if at all possible, please read codes and post those.

We really would like to help, but try to meet us at least half way.
Appreciate 0