E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Tail of the Dragon Trip 2024

Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #45
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I'll be there this Friday/Saturday, we make the trip every year at this time.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318846.00
      Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #46
JPRacing715
Rep
Drives: 2025 M340i

I have been there twice on my bike and loved it, we also we on the Sky trial and then through the Smoky Mountains. Loads of fun and really good people.

Your pics are amazing, I think this has encouraged me to want to go do it now as well.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318846.00
      Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #47
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

I was there on my bike (2015 BMW R1200GS) last Oct-Nov.

OUTSTANDING riding in the area..... as long as you watched for ice and frost-- Tail of the Dragon at the Tail of the Season had a few challenging moments.... and heated gear was pretty much mandatory.

Cherohala Skyway is an outstanding ride as well (and better than the Dragon, imho)-- especially towards sunset.

My buddy just got a new BMW K1600 Grand America, and I'm trying to figure out how to get him there from Denver so we can hit the Dragon (and surrounding rides) again.

R.
Attached Images

Last edited by flybigjet; Yesterday at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
wtwo318846.00
      Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #48
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
You didn't do the Cherohala Skyway?? IMO it'a a much better road. Less traffic, more and bigger scenic pull-offs, no cops, faster turns.
I agree. I did both early last month in the GT4 and I prefer Cherohala Skyway. Tail of the Dragon is good to experience, but it's overrated IMO. It's too crowded, short and you can't carry any real speed through the turns. A hairpin or switchback here and there is fine but every turn just doesn't do it for me. Anyhow, different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #49
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Great trip and report!

I’ve make the trek from the Chicago area too and it is worth every second of mindless windshield time to get there and back. Totally epic.

I prefer to hit those roads early on weekdays to avoid the clowns that tend to show up later in the day and on weekends.

For those that asked, yes the cops do have some prime waiting spots along the Dragon to nail aggressive drivers, but I’ve never seen them sitting there early in the day. When the traffic gets heavier I pull off on the shoulder to build some distance so I can enjoy it a bit more.

If you haven’t been make it a priority to get there! I love a good track day, but this area is even more fun as the roads just flow and a great rhythm develops. Plus the scenery....look what you’ve done...I’m ready to leave now!
Appreciate 0