E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Water Egress, Not Vapor Shield or Drains

Today, 06:14 PM   #1
Mmangone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Water Egress, Not Vapor Shield or Drains

I've pinpointed the cause of my water egress: the bottom left fastener hole on the inner door skin. Typically, water egress is a failed vapor barrier, but, in my case, it's that hole which is never covered by any barrier-- just the fastener's foam washer.

I replaced the fastener with a new fastener with the new type of foam washer, but water sprayed against the bottom section of the window frame causes the water to trickle out of the same spot.

I made a ring of butyl tape, and I used that instead of the washer, and it is holding back the water.

However, now that I can monitor the amount of water leaving the leading drain hole, I'm shocked. It's a lot.

I've never heard of the door window weather seals failing, but it's either that or the routing for the water is wrong-- I assume it should be traveling along the inside portion of the exterior metal skin, but for it to have been exiting the fastener hole, it must have been washing down the inside portion of the interior metal skin.

So: has anyone heard of the bottom section of door window seals failing? Does anyone know the normal rate of water flow through the drain holes? Does anyone know if the water that enters the door frame should travel along the interior or exterior skin?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:07 PM   #2
buckhorn7
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Yes, l had that happen on my 06 330i. Prior to my ownership in 2016, some body work was done on the LF door. Discovered the carpet was wet around the pedals and traced it to the interior door panel and seals. Resealed it and stopped the leak. The car is a spare car and mostly sits in the garage now out of the rain with 67k on it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:46 PM   #3
Mmangone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Buckhorn7, you're saying that body work that may have messed with the foam vapor barrier and foam washers caused your leak?

I think mine has more to do with the lower piece of weather stripping on the window. It just seems like a lot of water gets into the door, and it'll eventually wash out any amount of butyl.
Appreciate 0